How to create multiple conditions in display logic? | XM Community
Skip to main content

Dear All, 

I have set up my survey so that if respondents fail two attention check questions, they will be taken at the end of the survey. I have used multiple conditions in the display/branch logic within the survey flow, but it did not work.

For the two attention check questions,Q1 (multiple choice question) and Q2 (matrix question), Q1 has one correct answer, “None of the Above”, and for Q2, there are two correct answers “Strongly Disagree” or “Disagree.” 

If respondents do not select the correct answers, they will be taken to the end of the survey, so I have set up a branch logic in the survey flow tab under Q2: If  Q1 “None of the above,” Not Selected, AND Q2 “Strongly Disagree” Not Selected OR (New Logic Set) If Q1 “None of the above” Not Selected, AND Q2 “Disagree” Not Selected--End of Survey for participants. 

The above branch logic did not work. Alternatively, I tried creating two separate branch logic under Q2: first logic (None of the above AND Strongly disgree, Not Selected-End of survey), a second branch logic under Q2 (None of the above AND Disagree, Not Selected---End of survey). Unfortunately, none of them are working. 

I would really appreciate if you could provide some suggestions. 

Thank you, 

Trissa

Use and embedded data to track the number of failures. Start it's value with zero and use math operations under branch logic to update it's value. 

Whenever it reaches 2, branch to end of the survey. 

Thank you for your response. I followed your suggestion and used embedded data for Q2 to track wrong responses or failures ( 5 wrong responses) and two correct responses (Strongly disagree or Disagree), and then set up branch logic for the condition that if two failed wrong responses for the two attention check questions, the survey will end. Not sure what went wrong, but it did not work. 

Would you happen to know why the branch logic I used along with new logic set (original post, paragraph 3) did not work? It seemed to be most logical way to set up multiple conditions and follows the instructions qualtrics shared on its blog. 

Hi @trissa ,

I believe ahmedA’s solution performs similarly to the logic that you mentioned.

The logic is working after a simple test run. Were there any display/skip logics within your survey question Q1 and Q2?

There are times when branch logic and question’s display/skip logic conflict with one another.

Test of branch logic

Perhaps you could provide some screenshots for others to figure out the possible cause/solution.

Thank you, Chee Heng_SZ. It worked after removing the skip logic. 

Leave a Reply