Dynamic (customizable) survey | XM Community

Dynamic (customizable) survey

• 11 January 2023
  • 6 replies

Dear Community,
I was wondering if anyone could help with ideas on how the execute the below:
-It is needed that I find out a way to display questions to each subject, according to what is inserted in an excel import template, for example:
John Doe - Q1: How are you?, Q2: How would you rate ...? Q3: Are you familiar with...?
Jane Doe - Q1: Would you ...?, Q2: What do you think....?
The answer options would be the same for each question, but the difficulty comes from that the questions are formulated differently and are a different number for each subject. So I have tried using display logic with different conditions and using embedded data for the questions, however, I have not been able to quite succeed in this. I would appreciate any tips on how I can make this work in the 360 module.
Thank you in advance!
Kind regards,
Boryana

6 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

boryanaz ,

Hey maybe we can do it easily. For example you wanna pass some information like "Name", "Product name" or "product attribute" dynamically into the survey. These information are added in import excel file similar to email ID etc.

You just need to create some embedded field at top of survey flow to capture these information from excel to survey. just have to make sure you embedded field name should be same as excel file column name. Late you can pipe in these embedded fields in survey builder.

Hi dipeshsingh ,
Thank you so much for taking the time to answer this!
I actually tried with embedded data like this at the top of my survey flow , so the values for the questions can be taken dynamically from my subject import excel file:
image.pngHowever, sometimes the questions are displayed and sometimes not. For example, when I type 7 questions for a subject, only 4 are shown, or if I have only 2, it shows 4, even tho the questions themselves are empty. And I get this behavior with a few display logic I tried - the embedded data question to contain ?, not to contain ! (which I inserted into the empty cells), match a regex, etc.
Do you have any more advice on this? Thank you in advance!

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi boryanaz
Below is an example of how i created excel file, Survey flow EDs and how i used those EDs in survey builder. I used this same technique to display a text in question based on my excel file.
Let me know if these screenshot can help you.
builder.pngcontact.pngflow.png

Hi dipeshsingh ,
Thank you so much for providing these screenshots! I actually had tried the same thing, however, my questions are not visualized correctly; they get mixed up for the subjects... which is quite strange IMO. When I input a fixed number of fields for each subjects in my import file, they get mixed up between the subjects and when the number is varying (for example for subject 1 we have 3 questions, for subject 2 we have 6,etc), they are either not shown at all or only some of them are shown. Any ideas on how this can be resolved?

Thank you so much for taking the time with this!
Kind regards,
Boryana

Userlevel 7
Badge +32

Hope your Embedded data is before the Questions block. You must have already pass the name in your directory.
Based on name you can pass question text on embedded field using display logic in your survey flow. But make sure all the embedded fields, display logic on embedded variable should come before question block, only then piping will work.
T1.pngT2.png

Thank you, @ArunDubey!
My embedded data fields are indeed at the top of the survey flow, before the questions block. However, I would like for the subject names and questions to be dynamic, meaning, they are imported with the subject import template and their names and questions are dynamically visualized according to that; and this survey would be reused for different subjects with different questions every time. Do you think this would be possible with the above branches and overall in qualtrics?
Thank you in advance,
Boryana

Leave a Reply