Extract Data from SFTP Files | XM Community
Solved

Extract Data from SFTP Files

• 21 June 2022
  • 7 replies

Badge

Hi there,

I am trying to setup an automated workflow that takes a simple CSV of names/emails, uses the "Extract data from SFTP Files" task to grab those names, then distribute a survey to them. Qualtrics support said an SFTP file would be able to do this, but now that I have everything setup on the backend, I am starting to think that it isn't possible based off the options here:
image.png
How is it that I can't just use these fields with the XM Directory task to send out surveys? Is it truly this limited, or am I dumb and missing something?

Thanks for any help,
Steven

icon

Best answer by CarolK 21 June 2022, 20:43

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +37

With automations in the XM Directory, it's a two-step process.
What we do with file uploads via SFTP through XM Directory is:

1. Set up an automated upload of the contacts into a mailing list (pull file off SFTP, import to select list)

2. Set up a distribution automation (also in the XM directory) that sends to that list (sends to just the new contacts uploaded to the list) and is triggered by the import process successfully running.

Badge

Hi CarolK,
I saw that this was an option and was working on setting it up but I don't fully understand how to do it. This process is going to run once a day where it grabs that CSV, pulls the emails, and sends out surveys. Will it create a new list everyday, or delete the contents after they send? Because I want to make sure that I don't send the same person surveys every day after their name was on the list.
Thanks so much for your help on this!
Best,
Steven

Userlevel 7
Badge +37

Ah I see, yes now I remember I had that same question when we first did it!
You can set it to send to a single list, and the triggered distribution will send only to the newly added records.

Badge

You are absolutely right and a life saver, thank you so much CarolK!!!

I was able to get it working the way I wanted it to, thanks again for your help!

Best,
Steven

Userlevel 7
Badge +37

Glad to help, Steven! Updated my original post to include that detail so if anyone else comes upon this thread, they can find the info all together :)

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Hi, I have two questions related to this CarolK:
1) once .csv are imported in Qualtrics form STFP are they deleted from STFP folder?
2) if I have to set up a new STFP folder including X csv to distribute X surveys, which is the best practice? do I have to create multiple folders (ex. "list1", "list2"...) or just one folder for all csv?
Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +36

https://community.qualtrics.com/XMcommunity/discussion/comment/55592#Comment_555921. Yes the file gets deleted.
2. No you don't need to create seperate folders in same folder you can have files name with different specific prefix or suffix and use that in automation to pull the file.
Hope it helps!

Leave a Reply