Send a Qualtrics survey to contacts generated from a Salesforce report? | XM Community
Question

Send a Qualtrics survey to contacts generated from a Salesforce report?

• 15 June 2023
  • 6 replies

Badge +2

I want to run a report in Salesforce and send that list of queried contacts to Qualtrics to send each of them a survey (from Qualtrics).  Thought it was easy until I found out “no can do” from Support.

Any suggestions on how to do this eloquently? seems like a basic need.  See below for Supports summary of steps to get something working but using Directory Automation steps:

• Use the Add Contacts to XM Directory task and add all the contacts to the same contact list. This is only to add the contacts to a contact list, not to distribute the survey.
  • We're unable to use an XM Directory task to distribute a survey because is not part of an ETL workflow. 
  • You need to schedule the Automation to run after your workflow so you can see the newest contacts. 
  • When you set up your automation, you can find the time stamps filters, under the "Statistics" field. This is how you can filter your contacts to distribute the survey only to certain participants.

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

The challenge is that you need a triggering event in Salesforce, not Qualtrics. You can set up Qualtrics workflows to distribute surveys when a contact is added to a list from Salesforce or at a specific time (say, once a month to a specific list).

So your challenge is actually creating the workflow trigger in Salesforce that then points to your Qualtrics workflows.

So you need to work with your Salesforce developers or admin team to determine what the appropriate workflow to trigger this would be from the Salesforce side (most commonly it’s case closure but it sounds like this is a list update that would be scheduled).  If a workflow can’t be run because a triggering event doesn’t happen and it can’t just be a scheduled event, but an export schedule can be automated for reports, then you could figure out if the export can flow to Qualtrics or a SFTP to flow into Qualtrics.

Badge +2

Thanks for the response.  We are currently using a salesforce trigger to drive a survey but that only works for one contact meaning a 1-to-1 relationship with the triggering event and the one contact being sent a survey.

We have a new use case where we need to peer back in time (7 days) and have Salesforce evaluate some conditions on that group of contacts with a query.  The output will be more than 1 contact so I had hoped to send those contacts from the Salesforce query to Qualtrics to send them a survey.  I can’t trigger the Qualtrics survey from Salesforce as I need to wait 7 more days and re-evaluate the conditions in salesforce and then it would be on the entire days (-7) group of contacts.

Not sure if that context helps or not?

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Gotcha.  Are there any report export automations you can run of the report?

Badge +2

Not sure, I might try Supports recommendation in my first post.  We are trying to solve this on the Qualtrics side as a different team has the Salesforce piece :)

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

@boilerup  Did you find a solution for the mentioned issue?

Badge +2

@cmagg I did get a solution working.  It was trial by error to find the right configuration but it works very well.

My workflow is schedule → import salesforce report data → add contacts and transactions to XMD → XM Directory.

They all have their nuances, but the breakthrough was in XM Directory workflow:

• Use Dynamic contact list
  • For library field use DirectoryID
  • For Mailing list field use BatchID

Also in the Add Contacts you need to choose “create a new mailing list for this directory each time this task is run”

Leave a Reply