How do i group a Likert question and use it in a report | XM Community
Solved

How do i group a Likert question and use it in a report

• 3 January 2022
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

Hello! Please help a newbie!
Can anyone advise how I can take a Likert scale data (strongly agree, agree, neutral, disagree, strongly disagree) and group the (strongly agree/agree)/(strongly disagree/disagree) totals, and then pull this into a report text area to say "XXX% of respondents either agreed or strongly agreed to the statement xxxxx"?
I cannot figure out how to correctly bucket the data and then take this variable into the report. Is it in "Data" tab or is it in Stats IQ tab? and is it possible to take the variable and insert into a report?
I suppose the same goes for CrossTabs - can these charts/pivot tables etc be used in the reports? and how do i get them inserted?
Eventyally what I need to happen is have one overall report that I detail some visualisations, then sum up with some text i.e. XXX% of respondents either agreed or strongly agreed to the statement xxxxx, where as XX% disagreed or strongly disagreed.
I will then filter the report for the various different users so that the agree / disagree number will automatically update.

icon

Best answer by CarolK 4 January 2022, 16:25

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +37

If you do want to net them to create a new variable for this purpose, you can do that under Data & Analysis. You'd create a new bucketing variable based on the original likert statement.
OR: in the Results tab (the original one, not the Dashboards version that's in test right now), I would say to use a stats table, with Top 2/Bottom 2 calculations (change to be Top/Bottom 2, not 3 which it defaults to), to give you the nets without having to create a custom bucketing variable, But it doesn't let you rename those headings in the Results tab (to Net Agree/Net Disagree etc), so you have to label the visualization overall to explain what Top 2 / Bottom 2 represent. But this would give you what you need pretty easily (if not very prettily), and would update automatically with any filters you may apply.
(I tried taking that same stats table into the Reporting tab and that would let you relabel them, but it doesn't seem to want to report as %. So that's suboptimal (and seems like a bug but I mostly use the Results tab, so maybe that's just user error).

Badge +1

Thanks CarolK! That sounds like i could use your second option as a work around... Could i ask one more question based on this option?
You mentioned that you tried to take the stats table into the reporting tab... How do i do that? I cannot figure out how to take what I have done in Stats IQ or the results tab into the reporting tab (i don't have dashboards in my subscription).
Thank you so much for your reply 😊

Userlevel 7
Badge +37

Hi MoragB We usually use the Results tab, so adding a simple stats table there is a single click (currently... just don't get me started on the new version they are working on, ugh, they need to be adding functionality to Reporting for you, not complicating Results for me).
Anyway, I brought it in by setting it up a basic statistics table visualization in the results tab and then basing my Report on that set of results. I am not sure if there is currently any way to move something from Stats IQ into Reporting.

Leave a Reply