API Responses works for shared surveys, but not my own | XM Community
Question

API Responses works for shared surveys, but not my own

• 24 April 2024
  • 1 reply

Badge +2

Hello, I get a very strange API error. 

When I use the responses endpoint to write responses into a survey, I get the error message “survey not found”. However, it works if I change the surveyID to a survey that is shared with me. So I can write responses in shared surveys, but not my own (same brand platform). Even if I copy the shared survey and use the surveyID of the copy, it is not working.

Getting the survey response scheme works for all of my surveys. Any ideas, what’s wrong. Is there some setting in the survey that blocks my request?

1 reply

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

Hi @Weiss 

if you're encountering issues when attempting to write responses into your own surveys in Qualtrics but not with shared surveys, there could be several reasons behind this behavior. Here are a few potential explanations and steps you can take to troubleshoot the issue:

1. Survey Permissions: Double-check the permissions settings for your survey. Ensure that your account has the necessary permissions to modify responses for your own surveys. Sometimes, there might be restrictions set at the brand or account level that prevent certain actions.

2. API Permissions: Verify that your API user account has the appropriate permissions to write responses to surveys. Make sure that your API user has been granted the necessary privileges to interact with your surveys, including the ability to submit responses.

3. Survey Status: Check the status of your survey. If your survey is in "Inactive" status, you may not be able to write responses to it. Ensure that the survey is active and ready to receive responses.

4. SurveyID and Version: When using the responses endpoint, ensure that you are providing the correct SurveyID and version of the survey. If you've copied a survey, the SurveyID will change, but also make sure that you are using the correct version of the survey if you've made any changes after copying it.

5. API Rate Limits: Check if you're hitting any API rate limits. Qualtrics API has rate limits to prevent abuse. If you exceed these limits, you may encounter errors when making API requests. Review the Qualtrics API documentation for information on rate limits and ensure that you're not exceeding them.

6. Check for Errors in API Requests: Review the error messages returned by the API when you attempt to write responses to your survey. The error message "survey not found" could indicate that there's an issue with how you're specifying the survey ID or with the API request itself.

7. Contact Support: If you've tried the above steps and are still experiencing issues, consider reaching out to Qualtrics support for further assistance. They can help diagnose and resolve any issues related to your specific account or survey setup.

By investigating these potential causes and taking appropriate action, you should be able to troubleshoot and resolve the issue with writing responses to your own surveys in Qualtrics via the API.

Leave a Reply