Dynamic Drop-Down List | XM Community
Question

Dynamic Drop-Down List

• 4 March 2024
  • 7 replies

Badge +4

I am building an always-on survey to be posted on my company’s intranet in which employees can rate any office, department, or team they wish through these questions:

1. Please select the office from the dropdown menu.
  2. Please select the department from the dropdown menu.
  3. Please select the team from the dropdown menu.

Because offices, departments, and teams frequently change, I don't want to have the selections be a static drop-down list.

Instead, I would like the drop-down menus for these three questions to dynamically pull in options from the Location, Parent, and Team field (respectively) that are part of the embedded data from our Workday automation. Is this possible? 

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +27

You can build your own html select in the question text of a text entry question by piping in the embedded data fields as options.  Hide the text entry with JavaSript and save the selected choice into the text entry field.

Badge +4

Thanks, @TomG. Would you have detailed instructions of how to do this? I’m afraid this above my skill set. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @happychuck77 Try using Drill Down question type for your use case.

Userlevel 7
Badge +27

@happychuck77,

@omkarkewat’s response reminded me that I never replied to your last response. A Drill Down question won’t work because the options aren’t dynamic (i.e., doesn’t support frequent changes)

You could use a Form Field question and the formSelects function.  Then you would just need to populate the html <selects> in your question text with your embedded data. How you do that depends on the format of the embedded data.

Badge +4

I’ll give this a try. Thank you! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +27

@happychuck77 - Contact me by private message if you are interested in using the formSelects function.

Badge +4

For posterity’s sake, I found another solution to this:

I set up a daily standalone workflow that points to an SFTP site ( I also tested it with a Google Sheet and that works too) that updates a series of SDSs that feed Text entry questions using the Autocomplete feature.

Leave a Reply