How to duplicate a project using the Qualtrics API | XM Community
Skip to main content

Greetings Friends. I would like to create a duplicate of an existing project using only the Qualtrics REST API. I'm hoping this can be done with only a handfull of API calls but haven't found a solution yet. I know I can create and populate a project element by element (questions, blocks, etc.). Not sure if it's possible but I'm looking for API endpoints that might:

1. Create a new project by copying another similar to how the UI does.

2. Perhaps two API calls; one to create a blank project and another to import the structure from an existing project.

Maintaining question ids is important as there is a lot of JS and Web Service calls that reference specific ids.
UPDATE 1
pogi has me pointed in the right direction. When I first looked at the Create Survey endpoint (POST: /survey-definitions) I skipped the section of the Body definition referencing Survey QSF thinking it required a file upload (.qsf). I now think this can actually be json. The QSF definition can found at the API Reference under QUALTRICS SURVEY API then Schemas.
UPDATE 2
I did a quick test by exporting an existing survey through the UI which downloaded a .qsf file. The format of this file is json. I pasted that into Postman and tested the Create Survey endpoint with the contents of the .qsf as the body. It created a new survey with the exact structure of the original. Thanks pogi!

Have you tried using the restAPI to import surveys?

API Reference | Qualtrics API Docs

I looked at that endpoint. It either uses a file (.qsf) upload or a url to a .qsf for Qualtrics to download. I was hoping for something that would accept JSON but this might be the next best thing.

Yes, the .qsf would be the export of the source survey.
The other option, which I don't have any experience with would be using this enpoint: API Reference | Qualtrics API Docs
and you can see the json survey qsf schema here: API Reference | Qualtrics API Docs

Leave a Reply