Invoke a workflow / retake survey but don't change recorded date via API | XM Community

Invoke a workflow / retake survey but don't change recorded date via API

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

HI All,

After fixing a workflow (webservice issue) I now have hundreds of responses that would normally be processed at the time of the survey response being completed. Please could someone provide some guidance as to how I can invoke this survey workflow but without changing the recorded time as we use this to chart.
I have ticked the 'responses updated via the Qualtrics API' which seems to work when I manually retake the respondents survey (but of course that route updates the recorded time).

this is my workflow with the survey response setting showing
image.png I have a method to do API calls through an excel VBA script I've written but that was for Tickets so I can adapt it but I could do with some guidance on how best to invoke a change that the above task will then pickup and regard as an update.
Thanks
Rod Pestell

11 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Just to add to this I don't need to change any actual response data of this survey - i just need to invoke the workflow for each response - which then grabs the data from the questions and saves them (as embedded data fields) in a different survey.

Userlevel 7
Badge +36

Rod_Pestell
To not update the recorded date you can include the below in body parameters.
resetRecordedDate = false
As mentioned in this page
Hope it helps!

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

HI Deepak

Thanks for the reply. Understand you can set that, which I'll do. I'm after a little more info regarding best practice. What is the best way to invoke the 'Survey Response Update via the Qualtrics API' trigger? What do you do? I obviously don't really want to change anything if I can help it.
Thanks
Rod

Userlevel 7
Badge +36

https://community.qualtrics.com/XMcommunity/discussion/comment/55731#Comment_55731I always check only one of them as checking both options newly created and update via api will run in loop and will create many responses.
Hence I create seperate workflows as both together will never be needed I believe.
Hope it helps!

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Good suggestion. which trigger is used when doing a retake?
And what would you do API wise to invoke a workflow if you didn't really want to update any embedded data fields?
Thanks
Rod

Userlevel 7
Badge +36

https://community.qualtrics.com/XMcommunity/discussion/comment/55734#Comment_55734We use newly created responses and use a condition if embedded data Q_URL contains Q_R as through this we get to know if it was a retake response.
If you just want to invoke the API then the same condition above should help for retake or if it's for fresh ones remove the condition.
Hope it helps!

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

I just want to invoke the task on a set of reponseIDs which I can export and then refer to either in a csv file or excel. It doesn't matter if they are a retake or not. I'll just want to work through this list and invoke the task for each one using API. Do you have to change a value in a field to trigger the task or can you literally call the API for each responseID but made no changes?
Thanks
Rod Pestell

Userlevel 7
Badge +36

https://community.qualtrics.com/XMcommunity/discussion/comment/55738#Comment_55738You need to make an update to invoke api for a response id it can be the same value also but it would require a change as trigger.

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

ok, so I'd have to grab a value and put it back so that would mean two calls then? Is there any particular field you pick on?
I was hoping just one API call to be honest as there appears to be limit for how many calls you can make in a given time when doing API stuff, which I discovered when updating ticket data. It equates to one call every 2 seconds.

Userlevel 7
Badge +36

https://community.qualtrics.com/XMcommunity/discussion/comment/55741#Comment_55741We generally have a static embedded data already in place for this workflow to work. E.g.: Response=True already in survey flow and then just update it to True again later. Harming no other data. Hence, only1 call as you already know the value.
Hope it helps!

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Cool - It's sometime the simple things that work the best! I'll set to work on that then. Thanks again
Rod Pestell

Leave a Reply