Qualtrics API - Certain columns change from string to number | XM Community
Skip to main content
I am downloading data from a survey that we did in Qualtrics. I found Python 3 sample code (https://api.qualtrics.com/docs/response-exports) and base my code around it.

After successful download I noticed that questions that had provided a list of option for the user to select from were downloaded as numbers (I suspect the index of the answer selected).

I've attached two images - I would like the data to look like the image with words, not like the image without the words.

I believe the answer is simple as putting in some parameters to download the data differently but I can't seem to find it in Qualtric's API documentation.

Here is my code with my api credentials changed. My notes are marked by // instead of # because Qualtrics renders those as headers.

import shutil

import os

import requests

import zipfile

import json

import io

//Setting user Parameters

apiToken = "myKey"

surveyId = "mySurveyID"

fileFormat = "csv"

dataCenter = "az1"

// Setting static parameters

requestCheckProgress = 0

progressStatus = "in progress"

baseUrl = "https://{0}.qualtrics.com/API/v3/responseexports/".format(dataCenter)

headers = {

"content-type": "application/json",

"x-api-token": apiToken,

}

// Step 1: Creating Data Export

downloadRequestUrl = baseUrl

downloadRequestPayload = '{"format":"' + fileFormat + '","surveyId":"' + surveyId + '"}'

downloadRequestResponse = requests.request("POST", downloadRequestUrl, data=downloadRequestPayload, headers=headers)

progressId = downloadRequestResponse.json()["result"]["id"]

print(downloadRequestResponse.text)

// Step 2: Checking on Data Export Progress and waiting until export is ready

while requestCheckProgress < 100 and progressStatus is not "complete":

requestCheckUrl = baseUrl + progressId

requestCheckResponse = requests.request("GET", requestCheckUrl, headers=headers)

requestCheckProgress = requestCheckResponse.json()["result"]["percentComplete"]

print("Download is " + str(requestCheckProgress) + " complete")

// Step 3: Downloading file

requestDownloadUrl = baseUrl + progressId + '/file'

requestDownload = requests.request("GET", requestDownloadUrl, headers=headers, stream=True)

// Step 4: Unzipping the file

zipfile.ZipFile(io.BytesIO(requestDownload.content)).extractall("MyQualtricsDownload")

// Step 5: Move the file out of the folder and place it in the working directory --> change the paths to the appropiate paths for the server

shutil.move( "/Users/Abram/Documents/PCC/MyQualtricsDownload/Mindshare English v21.csv", "/Users/Abram/Documents/PCC/Mindshare English v21.csv")

os.rmdir("/Users/Abram/Documents/PCC/MyQualtricsDownload/")

print('Complete')

Thanks 🙂
Set the useLabels parameter to true: https://api.qualtrics.com/docs/create-response-export
am I right to add it to my downloadRequestPayload? like so:

useLabels = "true"

downloadRequestPayload = '{"format":"' + fileFormat + '","surveyId":"' + surveyId + '","useLabels":"' + useLabels + '"}'

When I do it get the following error:

File "qualtrics.py", line 28, in <module>

progressId = downloadRequestResponse.json()["result"]["id"]

KeyError: 'result'
Try useLabels without the single quotes. It is a boolean, not a string.
When run as a string the requests module returns this error:

File "qualtrics.py", line 26, in <module>

downloadRequestPayload = '{"format":"' + fileFormat + '","surveyId":"' + surveyId + '","useLabels":"' + useLabels + '"}'

TypeError: must be str, not bool

I believe it is because python is putting together a JSON file to be sent to the qualtrics api using exclusively strings. When Qualtrics receives it as a JSON it then recognizes it as a bool datatype.
Hi @abrhim! It looks like the answer to your question can be found here! 🙂

Leave a Reply