About counterbalancing | XM Community
Skip to main content

Hi,

I have two blocks of questions (A and 😎 and I need to roughly counter-balancing them across participants.

So, I have used RANDOMIZER and selected the "Evenly presented elements" options.
However, I'm a bit confused about what I should set inside "edit count".
I just want that for each participant block A and block B are present 1 time.

Thank you in advance, best
Mario

Hi dottmario84
The "count" in the randomizer step is for how many times people have been presented each block. It IS possible to edit the counts so that one block is "forced" to show more often (eg set it as lower than the other(s) so that it has to be presented more often in order to "make up" for that difference).
But we use that most often if we have done testing and the counts are now no longer "even" as the survey begins. In that case, we would reset the count back to zero.
It sounds like in your use case, it's not that you want each person to see only ONE or a SUBSET of the blocks, but that you want everyone to see BOTH or ALL of the blocks, in a random order. In that case, the two counts are going to be mostly the same (exceptions for anyone who abandons).
You don't need to set anything special on the counts in that case. You probably just want to reset the counts to zero when you are done with your testing & previews, just as a good practice.

Leave a Reply