Add Open Question Box to Multiple Choice Questions | XM Community

Add Open Question Box to Multiple Choice Questions

• 12 December 2022
  • 6 replies

Badge +1

Hi,
I want to leave an open comment box on a multiple-choice question. I want the survey to allow for people to choose one answer from the multiple-choice selection and leave a comment if they feel the need to. The problem I am having is I cannot find out how to allow them to select just one of the multiple-choice options and leave a comment. Is there a solution to this?

Thanks

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +27

You can enable 'Allow text' for each of the choices in your single select multiple choice question. That would allow them to leave a comment associated with the choice they selected.

Badge +1

TomG I saw I could do that Tom. Is there a way to add just one comment box? I would like it to be as clean as possible.

Userlevel 7
Badge +27

https://community.qualtrics.com/XMcommunity/discussion/comment/53079#Comment_53079A couple of options:

1. Add a 'Comments?' text entry question immediately after the multiple choice question.

2. 'Allow text' on all choices, but use JS to only show the text entry box of the selected choice

Badge +1

TomG I appreciate your help!

Badge

All of these suggestions are clumsy workarounds rather than a solution.

Adding a separate text entry question directly underneath makes it very difficult to move questions around later, and makes auto numbering impossible.

Adding “allow text” to every option is just plain ugly.

Adding “allow text” to every option and using javascript to hide the irrelevant text boxes sounds like a maintenance nightmare, and beyond the abilities of the average survey creator.

Is there anywhere to vote on this as a new feature?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@mart, I’d recommend posting this in on Evolve, our new product ideation program. 😁 If you’re not sure how to post your idea, check out our Ideation Guidelines and our Policy & Procedures.

Leave a Reply