Additional data in a survey | XM Community
Skip to main content

Hi,

I have a survey to evaluate a Training session. We distribute it via QR codes, and within the survey url in the QR code, there is a url parameter that indicates &Training_ID=1

So we have a couple dozen of different training ID’s.

Each training has a name, location, type, etc.

I do want to use the training’s name/location/type in my dashboards. i.e. what is the average satisfaction of the trainings in location B.

I don’t want to add every single extra field into my QR code url, that makes the QR too dense. I only want the training ID in my url.

What is the most efficient way to be able to use this additional data about the trainings?

My current method is to add a Branch per training id.

So branch 1: If Training_ID = 1, then Name = x and Location = A and type = z.

Branch 2: If Training_ID = 2, then Name = y and location = B and type = y

and so forth

but this is starting to be a whole lot of branches as our number of trainings is growing.

I also tried to have an additional project, an imported data project, with the list of all the training id’s and their name/location/type,

but then I can’t seem to correctly add that imported data project into the dashboars, so that I can calculate the average satisfaction of the trainings in location B. As the imported data project is an additional datasource, all the entries are handled as separate “answers” and not as additional information on the survey data of the training survey.

So, if anyone has any other ideas on how I could acchieve this use case? Or are the branches I built the only way? I was also thinking about making a webservice call within the survey flow to get that additional data into the survey from out of that other imported data survey, but I’m not sure if that will work, as for the “get survey response” api call I need the response id, which is also not the same as the training_id …

@JoycaV Name, location and type have to be in the records as embedded data for the informations to be linked so with additional data import to survey record your still have to to extra, manual job.

API is automatic but also unnecessary extra work and you have to update the source anyway.
Seem like what youre doing is your simple and best option. If you’re afraid that your survey flow might be bulky, you can try to hide the process by using JavaScript inside your 1st welcome question. Updating new training is just a simple copy/paste and changing data, no need for making new branch.
Hope this helps

using JavaScript inside your 1st welcome question. Updating new training is just a simple copy/paste and changing data, no need for making new branch.

Thanks Nam.

The Javascript may indeed be a better way forward than the branches. It’s easier to maintain as you can indeed copy-paste from a text editor, while branches involve clicking a lot in the UI.

Meanwhile I had also expirimented with adding some Bucket variables in Data&Analysis. This would work fine, except that one of my additional fields is a multi-value, and I couldn’t cover that with buckets.

Meanwhile I had also expirimented with adding some Bucket variables in Data&Analysis. This would work fine, except that one of my additional fields is a multi-value, and I couldn’t cover that with buckets.

@JoycaV Bucket is a great idea, but I don’t get it why a multi-value field could pose a problem. With ID is the only input.

@JoycaV Bucket is a great idea, but I don’t get it why a multi-value field could pose a problem. With ID is the only input.

Well, in a bucket, you can only assign a value into one single bucket.

If e.g. Training_ID 1 should have Type = z AND y, this is not possible with a bucket. You can only drag the id 1 into either the bucket for z, or the bucket for y, not into both.

While in branches or in javaschipt, you can say “Bucket = z,y”. If you indicate that this field is a multivalue, the comma is recognized by Qualtrics as the separator for the multiple values.

Leave a Reply