Avoid Time Conflict | XM Community
Solved

Avoid Time Conflict

Badge +2

Greetings Community,
I am trying to setup two questions in my survey where one question is rely on another as far as the dropdown.
Q1: Are you interested to participate in Study A our program conducting? If Yes,
Q2: What time? Dropdown with: 1:00 PM, 2:00 PM, 3:00 PM. (Display Logic)
Q3: Are you interested to participate in Study B our program conducting? If Yes,
Q4: What time? Dropdown with: 1:00 PM, 2:00 PM, 3:00 PM. (Display Logic)
Is there away to update the dropdown in Q4 based on Q2? For example, If 2:00 PM is selected in Q2, I wouldn't be able to select 2:00 PM on Q4, and so on.

Thank you,

icon

Best answer by CarolK 20 June 2022, 14:29

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +37

Hi!

1. Are the two sets of options the same for both Q2 and Q4? If so, what you want to do on Q4 is use "Carry Forward Statements" and base it on the items that were NOT selected in Q2. Note that the system won't like "In Page" logic on a question with carry forward options (though I can't understand why, in this specific case, since the carry forward is from prior to the pertinent question; must just be a setting)

2. If the two sets of options are not the same for Q2 and Q4 (like you have half-hour breaks and in one and not the other, need to check against conflicts 1:1), then you would want to use display logic not just at the question level (show Q4 if Q3 = Yes) but also at the prompt level. (Note: sometimes you have to turn off the question level logic in order to access the prompt level logic)

In either case, though: You'll need a page break between the two, so that the selections in the first 2 questions can impact the second 2 questions.
Option 1 example:
image.png

Badge +2

Greetings CarolK,
Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions. Your propose solution does work if they agree for both studies. However, if they answer no to question 1, then they will not get to answer q2. As a result, I would not see my option in Q4.

Thank you again.

Userlevel 7
Badge +37

OK in that case, you need to use display logic on the prompts themselves, for each one. Each prompt at Q4 will have a dropdown option:
image.pngAnd you'll tell it to only show it if it was NOT selected in Q2:
image.png

Badge +2

Thank you so much! That resolve my issue.

Leave a Reply