Can I embed my own unique IDs to my Qualtrics survey? | XM Community
Question

Can I embed my own unique IDs to my Qualtrics survey?

• 7 June 2023
  • 8 replies

Badge +2

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knows how to assign our own random IDs to the Qualtrics survey rather than use the Qualtrics-generated one.

My study involves people first completing the Qualtrics survey before being redirected to a separate testing website that requires them to enter a unique ID to login.

I have a sample list of pre-made login IDs for that testing website that I want to upload into Qualtrics and have it randomly assign those IDs to responders, which they can then copy into the testing site after completing the survey and continue on with the study. This is so I can track responders’ answers in the survey to the results from that testing site.

Would this be at all possible?

Thank you!

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +20

Hi @stuDying

Please refer to the below link

https://www.qualtrics.com/support/survey-platform/common-use-cases-rc/assigning-randomized-ids-to-respondents/

Badge +2

Hi @krbhavya

Thank you for replying!

I have already looked through this link and was only able to find information on how to generate ID’s from Qualtrics, not upload my own pre-made ones.

Userlevel 6
Badge +20

Hi,

Yes with this solution you can generate random number and you can pipe in that number in the survey.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Yes, it is possible to assign your own random IDs to respondents in Qualtrics instead of using the Qualtrics-generated IDs.

1. Prepare your list of pre-made login IDs: Create a list of unique login IDs that you want to assign to the respondents. You can save this list in a spreadsheet or a text file.

2. Upload the login IDs to Qualtrics: In your Qualtrics survey, navigate to the "Data & Analysis" tab and click on "Import/Export." Choose the option to "Import Data" and follow the instructions to upload your list of login IDs. Make sure to map the appropriate fields for the login IDs.

3. Generate a random order block: Create a block in your survey that contains a single question asking for the login ID. In the block options, select "Randomize order" to randomize the order of the login IDs for each respondent.

4. Custom validation: Add custom validation to the question asking for the login ID to ensure that respondents enter a valid ID from the list. You can use JavaScript to validate the input and check if it matches one of the login IDs you uploaded.

5. Data export: When exporting your survey data, make sure to include the responses for the login ID question so you can match them with the results from the testing website.

By following these steps, you can assign your own random IDs from your pre-made list to respondents in Qualtrics, allowing you to track their answers in the survey with the results from the testing website.

Badge +2

@Shivamvig_sv 

Thank you so much for responding and for the extensive instructions!

I am running into some trouble with importing my login IDs. The Qualtrics support page is centred around importing responses so I am asked to configure and map out the the IDs based on this assumption, which I am unsure on how to do when I simply just want to upload the IDs.

Would you be able to provide more advice on this?

Thanks again.

Badge

Qualtrics Surveys appear to be great for standalone use-cases. However, we would like to integrate a little more deeply… Along the lines of this question, we would like to set a userId (that we’ve determined to be unique in our system) to a survey taking. Making this custom field available in a XM dashboard is nice, but we would like to be able to query by surveyId and this unique userId that we passed in. We would use this particular user’s response to influence their journey in downstream (non-Qualtrics) applications.

I can see that you have the ability to query by surveyId and sessionId. But… do you have a way to query by surveyId and this custom field? If not, how would I “hook” into this sessionId so we could store it per user?

The bottom line is: even if we are able to “embed my own unique IDs to my Qualtrics survey” it does us no good if we can’t query the responses somehow after the fact. How would you recommend we do identity resolution so that survey takings could not be anonymous?

Badge +1

Yes, it is possible to assign your own random IDs to respondents in Qualtrics instead of using the Qualtrics-generated IDs.

1. Prepare your list of pre-made login IDs: Create a list of unique login IDs that you want to assign to the respondents. You can save this list in a spreadsheet or a text file.

2. Upload the login IDs to Qualtrics: In your Qualtrics survey, navigate to the "Data & Analysis" tab and click on "Import/Export." Choose the option to "Import Data" and follow the instructions to upload your list of login IDs. Make sure to map the appropriate fields for the login IDs.

3. Generate a random order block: Create a block in your survey that contains a single question asking for the login ID. In the block options, select "Randomize order" to randomize the order of the login IDs for each respondent.

4. Custom validation: Add custom validation to the question asking for the login ID to ensure that respondents enter a valid ID from the list. You can use JavaScript to validate the input and check if it matches one of the login IDs you uploaded.

5. Data export: When exporting your survey data, make sure to include the responses for the login ID question so you can match them with the results from the testing website.

By following these steps, you can assign your own random IDs from your pre-made list to respondents in Qualtrics, allowing you to track their answers in the survey with the results from the testing website.

Can you please specify how to access imported data? I have tried a lot and there is no way I can use the data from the “data and analysis” part in my survey. and as a matter of fact I need to do so.

Badge

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, this is not what I am looking for. Our list of userIds changes multiple times per minute (per second sometimes?) because of global new account creations and account deletion requests. We would need a way to programmatically set a particular userId for a particular survey taking. It appears the only option may be to inspect the survey taking on our end, for that particular session - and make the link in our database. Is that correct?

Leave a Reply