Can I set up a series of automated emails inside a single workflow? | XM Community
Skip to main content

Hello. After experimenting with Workflows and its related tasks and conditions, it doesn’t appear the functionality I need is available. Maybe I’m missing something? Can anyone clarify if the following is possible using Qualtrics? Thank you in advance for your time and sharing any insight.

1. Send an email to a contact based on the number of days before/after a specified date. The Workflow triggers appear to be only set for daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, and annually intervals --- not days before/after a specified day of the year via a calendar-based date picker or date chosen by a user inside a survey database.
  2. Create a series of emails inside a single Workflow --- these emails would each contain unique content --- and schedule these emails to go out on a specified schedule. Again, we need the emails to be sent out before/after a specified date. I understand a series of emails can be scheduled using a separate Workflow for each email. However, in our use case, we need to be able to copy/replicate the same Workflow to be used for several projects --- it wouldn’t make sense to set up a series of 10 emails as individual workflows, requiring users to copy all 10 workflows and then manually adjust the send dates on these same 10 workflows.

I’ve also looked into Automations since what I describe above is what other platforms (e.g., Mailchimp) call the process of setting up a series of email correspondence to contacts. However, it appears that while Automations open up a few more options when it comes to scheduling, XM automations still don’t allow users to create a series of unique emails that are sent to specific contacts on specified days. 

@gannonatwork 

1. You can calculate the date on survey level via custom code and use this API to send distributions on custom date by piping in values. 
  2. You can also create upto 20 tasks in one workflow so I believe you do not need separate 10 workflows just one with 10 email tasks.

Hope it helps!

Hi, @Deepak. I appreciate you getting back to me on this and providing a workaround.

I did see we can add a series of email tasks to the same workflow. The issue is the email send trigger is limited to “immediately” or after a specified # of hours, days, weeks, or months from the previously sent email. While the API call route would work for our use case, unfortunately, we need to turn over the workflow to our client after it’s created so they can replicate and revise as needed for their class registration process; they don’t have anyone on staff with the expertise necessary to do that and maintain anything we would create.

It’s just really surprising that Qualtrics doesn’t offer something, dare I say, more robust when it comes the scheduling of the emails. This is the only email distribution workflow I’ve seen that doesn’t offer an option to trigger an email on a specific date (via a date picker module) or days before and after a specific date. 

Thanks again for taking time to share your expertise, much appreciated.

Leave a Reply