Computing avg. number options selected on multi-answer question | XM Community
Skip to main content

I am working on a survey that makes use of questions that respondents can submit multiple answers to. Qualtrics will display the total counts of each answer choice but that’s not exactly what I’m looking for. I want to know the average number of answer choices a respondent selects for that question.

EX. A multi-answer question with 12 possible answers (and no caps on how many a respondent can colllect)

John selects 5 answer choices

Joe selects 4 answer choices

Jane selects 10 answer choices

Jess selects 1 answer choice

Average number of choices respondents selected would be 5.

I don’t know how to compute this value within Qualtrics, and the respondent count (2,000+) makes it harder to do by hand. Would be very grateful on any and all advice on how to solve this.

Give a score of 1 to each answer options. In the  dashboard widget use this score variable to get the average.

You can add an embedded data field to your survey flow to capture how many choices a respondent selected to a multi-select question. There is a hidden field for this using SelectedChoicesCount. With this value then saved to each response, you can then use an average metric in the dashboard. It would look something like the below:

Total_Selected_Choices = ${q://QIDX/SelectedChoicesCount}

If your data is already collected, I would go with @Shashi ‘s solution, since scoring will apply retroactively to your data. You’ll just have to add it to your dashboard’s mapped fields.

If your data is already collected, I would go with @Shashi ‘s solution, since scoring will apply retroactively to your data. You’ll just have to add it to your dashboard’s mapped fields.

Yes if data is already collected, very much agree with @Shashi above!

Leave a Reply