Create Calculated Field for Use as Piped Data? | XM Community
Solved

Create Calculated Field for Use as Piped Data?

Hi! I'm new to Qualtrics and I've been combing through the site and haven't find an answer to this question, so I thought I'd post it here. I have a survey in which I ask a multiple choice question, one response from which leads to a follow-up drill down question. I would like to recode the responses to these questions so that I can use one field as piped text in several subsequent questions. Here's a silly example of what I'm trying to do:
Q1 - What are your plans for breakfast tomorrow?
A - I plan to eat breakfast at the dining hall
B - I plan to eat breakfast off-campus
C - I will have breakfast, but haven't decided where
D - I don't eat breakfast
For those who select B, they then go to a drill down question that ends with them selecting an area restaurant (say, Denny's). In subsequent questions, I'd like to ask things like "thinking about the eggs at (recoded piped text), are they overcooked?" where 'recoded piped text' would say Yummy Dining Hall if the person had selected A in Q1, and Denny's if they had selected B in Q1 and then Denny's in the drill down question. Thank you in advance for your help, and if this could be done with Qualtrics functionality and not scripting and coding, I'd really appreciate it!

icon

Best answer by ashleigh_quaill 20 May 2021, 00:33

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +19

You could use branch logic and embedded data for that in your Survey Flow. After your first question, set a branch that says If Q1 answer is A, add embedded data for Restaurant as "Yummy Dining Hall". Then set another branch if Q1 answer is B, display Q2 to ask them for their off-campus restaurant then add embedded data for Restaurant which is piped text for the answer choice in Q2.
Then in your eggs question, you would simply use the embedded data field Restaurant as piped text and it will contain whichever option they selected. This assumes only one answer choice for Q2 though. Otherwise you might need to look at Loop & Merge if you want to ask about the eggs at each of the restaurants they select.

Awesome! This did the trick - thank you so much!

Leave a Reply