Creating a new formula/variable based off items selected in multiple answer questions | XM Community
Skip to main content

Hi all,

I’m wanting to find out a way to create a new variable (via a multiple answer question) so it will tally the number of items participant’s selected. At this moment, the csv data file has their answer like “1, 3, 8, 9” instead of 4.

The final option they can select is “I haven’t experienced any” which I’ve coded as 0. I’m wanting to know the number of events people select (minus the final answer), because I have further data regarding the number of events. I know I can manually count each answer, but if I’m collecting 200 participants’ data, this isn’t a very good use of my time.

I’ve tried to create a new field/formula, however, it won’t allow me to select the relevant question when trying to put the selections in the formula (i.e., a+b+c, etc.). 

Any ideas would be helpful! This is my furst survey so I’m totally lost and don’t even know what phrases I would use to search if someone else had already asked haha.

Thanks!

you can achieve this using Scoring option of Qualtrics. Please refer below link.  

https://www.qualtrics.com/support/survey-platform/survey-module/survey-tools/scoring/

Thanks Arun, I followed the link and it definitely helped my csv output. However, I was wanting to do this in the survey prior to exporting the data (i.e., making a new variable/formula so when downloaded, it’s already done). Is this possible?

I’m not sure if I’m getting you correctly. If you are looking to see multi select question data as 0,1 in separate column so you can check below settings. But you cannot get the scores as 4 for four selections.

Best thing about score is: If you forgot to add in a scoring category before sending out your survey, don’t worry! Scoring is retroactive for surveys and will be applied to all previously collected responses, as well as future responses. However, scoring is not retroactive for dashboards.

@IzzyS,

It isn’t clear to me if you’ve already fielded the survey.  If you haven’t, you can pipe the count of selected choices for a MC question into an embedded data field in the survey flow. It would be something like this:

Set Embedded Data: Q1count = ${q://QID1/SelectedChoicesCount}
Branch: IF Q1 Selected Choice Is Equal To I haven’t experienced any
    Set Embedded Data: Q1count = 0

If you’ve already fielded the survey, you can use a formula in Excel:

=IF(A1=0,0,LEN(TRIM(A1))-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(TRIM(A1),",",""))+1)

Leave a Reply