Display an average of the final score to the respondent | XM Community
Solved

Display an average of the final score to the respondent

• 9 February 2022
  • 2 replies

Hi all - I'm trying to create a test which will display a score at the end of the survey to the respondents based on the Brief Resilience Scale. I've created the survey and scored the responses, however the final score needs to be divided by the number of questions before it is displayed to the respondent to give the BRS Score (e.g. final score/6). (The BRS Score is calculated by Adding the responses varying from 1-5 for all six items giving a range from 6-30. Divide the total sum by the total number of questions answered.)
I've had a play with Math Operators (should say I'm a bit of a Qualtrics Novice) and I can see how they can be applied to a question, but not to a score?

icon

Best answer by Tom_1842 9 February 2022, 16:08

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +27

Hi,
You could get Math Operations involved here, but I think you could display this information just using piped text.
If your Scoring is set up to be just for the BRS question, then you can display the Score's mean to the respondent by going to the rich text editor, then clicking the piped text icon {A}, then Scoring, then the BRS Score category, and then the Weighted Mean.
If you wanted to go the Math Operations route, you would go to the Survey Flow and pipe in the Scoring information the same way as above when setting up the embedded field to capture that value, like in the below:
scoring_average.png

Userlevel 7
Badge +37

Hi, I think it depends how you hope to use the information & display it to the user.
If you ONLY want to show the BRS/average score (out of 6), you could do this by either changing the values of the responses, or by creating a secondary scoring category. You currently have scoring where the values for each question are 1-5, and the results are 6-30. You could replace that (or create a second scoring category) wherein you code the values as a decimal value that equates to the total percentage of the score they would otherwise be worth (basically, instead of being worth 1-5 they are worth 1/6 -5/6 (as decimals); the total score therefore adds up to the equivalent of (1-5 score/6). If you do that as a secondary scoring category, make sure you select that as the one to display at the end. Note that Qualtrics will only display one scoring value as part of the end of survey behavior though so you would have to only want to show that one.
If you need to be able to show both (not "end of survey" behavior" but just a page technically WITHIN the survey to display the results), then you would need to create embedded variables (recommend type=Number) to pull in the Score values. Then I think you can leverage two different Scoring categories (or you can use the embedded value in much the same way you can leverage a question, in the math operations -you'd probably find it easiest to pipe in the embedded variable into a question, then "cut" it from there and paste/adjust the formatting to apply it to the maths).

Leave a Reply