Display block based on question answer | XM Community
Skip to main content

Hello, 

I am attempting to recreate the “bomb” risk elicitation survey in Qualtrics using branch logic and embedded data. Unfortunately, this seemingly simple task has thrown me for a loop and I find myself struggling with how to proceed.

As you can see below, the survey should direct the respondent to the “Lose” block if their selection in the Choice Selection Block contains the random number generated at the beginning of the survey. I thought that if I defined their choice selection as embedded data, and then checked to see if that choice selection data contains the random number, then the survey would branch if the logic was true. However this does not seem to be the case, even when I displayed the random number as the choices were being selected so that I could always select the random number.

I would greatly appreciate any and all guidance on this. I would prefer to continue using branch logic but if display logic is preferable for what I am trying to accomplish, I would welcome advice on that as well! Thank you.

Hi @LukeMeu,

I noticed that in the 'Lose' block, you only have one question. I suggest deleting this 'Survey flow' and instead using display logic. Select the question in the 'Lose' block and click on 'Add Display logic'. Set the logic as 'If Selected Choices is equal to BadNumber'. Then, you can add skip logic so that once this question is answered, the customer can directly proceed to the 'End of survey'.

Let me know if this helps.

@Sachin Nandikol

Thank you for your reply! Your suggestion to use display logic instead has made the survey much cleaner. Unfortunately, the survey still fails to send the customer to the ‘Lose’ screen even if 'If Selected Choices contains ‘BadNumber' is true.

Ideally, the survey should flow like so: the customer is prompted choose a set of numbers 1-10, they choose 1, 3, 6, and 9. If the random number, defined as ‘BadNumber’ is equal to any of those numbers, they should be directed to the ‘Lose’ block, but no matter what, the current survey always directs them to the ‘Win’ block.

Perhaps there is an issue with my Embedded Data?

Lose Block display logic
Survey Overview

I sincerely appreciate your assistance with this project.

Hi @LukeMeu,

I recommend keeping all embedded variables at the top and using 'Equal to' logic instead of 'Contains' in display logic for better organization and clarity.

Hello @Sachin Nandikol

I appreciate your guidance. I was able to remedy the integer identification issue by converting the embedded data to piped text, as seen below in the branch logic. Unfortunately ‘Equal to’ logic will not work for this, as the ‘SelectedChoices’ data contains numerous integers, but I appreciate the suggestion nonetheless. 

I have included my solution below, outlined in branch logic for visual clarity. However, as @Sachin Nandikol noted, it is preferable to perform this function using display logic instead.

Leave a Reply