Does Qualtrics have the restriction of the length of variables? | XM Community
Solved

Does Qualtrics have the restriction of the length of variables?

• 17 June 2022
  • 5 replies

Badge

I want the variable name as self_reported_weight_units_2. However, Qualtrics cannot give me this. Every time I edit, nothing changes after for a while.

icon

Best answer by CarolK 21 June 2022, 16:54

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +37

It doesn't appear that the variable name is too long to be accepted (as I just added it to a test survey here). Can you tell us a little more about what is happening?

• Are changes to your survey not saving after you've been working for a while? (If so, definitely report this to Qualtrics support).

• Is the variable appearing but the values you're assigning to it not showing up? If so, can you explain how you're setting it so maybe we can help troubleshoot?

Badge

image.png
But when I exit and reenter, there is no change. So the problem is it shows up saved when I edit the change, But in fact, there is no change at all.

image.png

Userlevel 7
Badge +37

OK I see. When you said "Variable" I was thinking survey variable, like embedded data. But you meant Question numbering. There is a length limit: 20 characters. (I tried naming a question number 123456789012345678901... to see how far it would let me go, and it will not accept the 1 at the end: 20 characters in total.)

Badge

These are variable names when we download the data from the Qualtrics to the Excel.

Userlevel 7
Badge +37

https://community.qualtrics.com/XMcommunity/discussion/comment/47082#Comment_47082Yes, once I understood that you were talking about question numbers, then I knew you were calling them variables based on the output file. It's just that's not where I started from. :)

Anyway, yes, there is a limit on the length of a variable as set by a question number, and it is 20 characters. Variable names set via embedded data can have longer names.

Leave a Reply