Grouping answer choices | XM Community
Skip to main content

Hi all,
I am running a survey on occupational choice and I would like to group some occupations together. What I would like to do is:

1. List 20 popular occupations (10 most popular female and 10 most popular male occupations) and ask respondents to select which of the 20 (if any), they have received information about after event X.

2. Then, I want to know if they ended up doing an internship in the selected occupations.

3. Then, I want subjects to tell me why they decided not to do an internship in the occupations they selected in q1 but did not intern in.

Here comes the tricky part. In q1, there are traditional male and female occupations. In Q3 I want to ONLY carry forward the subjects' choices from Q1 that are non-traditional for their gender.
So my question is, is there a way to pre-group occupations as traditional male and traditional female, so that my 'if' condition will look something like: IF female & selected non-traditional female occupations in Q1, then carry forward the choices in which they did not do an internship in.
In Q1, I do not want the respondents to see that occupations are grouped. I want them to be listed alphabetically.
My best guess would be to use embedded data and import 2 excel columns, 1 including non-traditional female occupations and 1 with non-traditional male occupations. But I have not found a way to do this properly.
Any (other) ideas??

Currently, carry forward only allows for one item to be leveraged. So I think rather than "carry forward" you may need to apply display logic to each of the prompts. Basically Q3 includes all the available options, and each one has display logic that confirms "display if Gender/Identity=F and [in Q1 this non-traditional item for (F) is selected]" (or the reverse, if Gender/Identity=M).
It's more keystrokes to put into place that way, but you will have more flexibility about which prompts are seen by each respondent based on how they identify AND what they have selected earlier in the survey.

Hi Carol, this makes a lot of sense. I ended up coding it this way, many thanks!

Leave a Reply