Having drill down questions questions on separate pages | XM Community
Solved

Having drill down questions questions on separate pages

• 12 February 2024
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi, I’m working on a problem involving a drill down type of question. I would like to be able to have respondents pick their job title from a large list of possible occupations. The list is to large to fit on one menu. So my solution was to have a drill down set up where first respondents are asked what sector of the economy their job is in, then what level of training their job usually requires. This produces subsets of manageable menus that a respondent could choose from, like 10 to 20. However, to make this really work, I’d like to be able to have the drill down options on separate pages. How can I accomplish this? 

To put this in the language of the example used on the Qualtrics pages for drill down questions, I would like to have the R presented with the question: 

1. What Model is your car…..
  2. page break
  3. What make is your car
  4. page break
  5. What year is your car….

I have been told that this may require some custom javascript programming so I’m wondering if anyone has tackled this. Thank you

icon

Best answer by ahmedA 13 February 2024, 00:10

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

You can create this with a series of multiple choice questions.

So, the first question could be industry.

Then on the next page you have several questions with with the respective choice, each with display logic to only show if that particular industry is selected. For example one for medical, the other for transportation etc.

And so on.

Alternatively, you could use something like select2 or autocomplete and the result would look something like this: https://demo.survey-awesome.com/autocomplete

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

This is really promising. Thank you. I’m going to look at the multiple choice set up tomorrow; I can see my way to that on my own. 

But where do I read more about the select2 or autocomplete? That looks amazing!

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

@ahmedA where do I get started learning how to embed select2

Thanks!

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi all: 

My colleague and I have gotten this to work with a limited number of response options (specifically 564). However, we have ~27000 possible response options that we would like to build into the javascript. We are finding that the survey is crashing before we get to the maximum. Can anyone shed any light on whether there is a ceiling here? 

Thanks. 

Leave a Reply