Headers within an essay textbox | XM Community
Skip to main content

Hi All,

very new to this - coming from ODK which shares a number of features. My question may have an answer related to this: Custom code to add an editor to respondents' entries in the Essay Text Box? | XM Community (qualtrics.com) but i am yet to understand JavaScript or how to implement many of the features of Qualtrics.

What i’m looking for is, depending on a Yes/No question, to present an essay text box with a header already within it or an alternate text box with 2 headers. If “yes”, the text entry will appear as below, if “no” just the Summary will appear. My respondents are all scientists, so they’re used to the compartmentalisation of responses.

Q: Please enter your rationale

Summary: answer will get written in here

Describe the gaps in known data: a second block of text then gets entered

My first draft is to have a 2nd textbox appear when “yes” is selected, but that seems like cheating 🙂 and isn’t an efficient use of an “essay” style textbox. Equally, i could ask them to add their own headers but i understand the limitation of evaluating answers within free text and pre-defined headers seem like an efficient way to make their job easier and mine too.

Thanks for reading,

jeff

Hi @jMakin,

My suggestion for your situation would be to utilize the "Default Choices" option. Here's how you can implement it:

1. Add your "Yes or No" question to your survey.
2. Add two "Text Entry" questions, one for "Yes" and one for "No".
3. Set up display logic to show the appropriate "Text Entry" question based on the selection.
4. For the "Text Entry" question that will be displayed when "Yes" is selected, add a "Default Choice" as shown in the screenshot:

5. Similarly, for the "Text Entry" question that will be displayed when "No" is selected, add a "Default Choice" with only "Summary" in it.

Please try this approach and let me know if it resolves your issue.

Thanks Sachin,

sorry for the delayed response, i didn’t get around to testing this over my weekend.

I didn’t know Default Choices worked with text boxes, Thanks.

The only improvements i can think of is the add formatting (bold or underline) but html tags don’t seem to work in default choices

and then to increase the default size of the essay text box so that both headings in the ‘Yes’ box are visible. Some Custom css should fix that i assume - will trial that in a bit.

Cheers, jeff

Leave a Reply