HELP randomizing a mixed variable | XM Community
Question

HELP randomizing a mixed variable

• 23 April 2023
  • 8 replies

Badge +2

Im trying to create a survey that has a between-subject variable (for example, HIGH/LOW attractiveness) and a within-subject variable, call it humor- with three levels- none/pos/neg.

each participant is randomly assigned either to high/low condition. then, for the within design i have two sets of 3 pictures (each set either high/low attractiveness) and three sets of 3 texts each,one for every humor level.
I want that for each level of humor participants will see a picture paired with one of the 3 texts (randomly chosen) and then a followup matrix question. problem is i want each participant to see each picture once without return. plsss if you can help me it'll be life saving.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +36

It can be done via complex randomizer logic where you present elements evenly and use them as needed.

Userlevel 4
Badge +14

I’m not 100% sure what you’re looking to do, but have you looked at the different randomisation options:

1) Block Randomisation (in survey flow) - Randomizer (qualtrics.com)

Click the checkbox for Evenly Present Elements to present each element a roughly equal number of times across all respondents.

2) Question randomisation - Question Randomization (qualtrics.com)

Within Advanced Randomisation you can use Random Subsets to ensure each randomized question is seen the same amount of times by your respondent pool (n.b. also use Evenly Present Elements)

Hope these help

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Here you have to use two randomizer: first one for image and second for text and make sure equal distribution. 

Badge +2

yes thanks everyone, but how do i randomize something without return? meaning how could i make sure that each participant sees each picture only once? 

Badge +2

also, what difference does it make using embedded data in the same element or two different ones?

Userlevel 4
Badge +14

yes thanks everyone, but how do i randomize something without return? meaning how could i make sure that each participant sees each picture only once? 

if each block or question contains one picture, then the respondent would only see that block/question once

Userlevel 7
Badge +36

also, what difference does it make using embedded data in the same element or two different ones?

1. You can evenly present elements so it wouldn't be repeated. 

2. Randomizer only randomizes elements if you keep all in one it will only treat it as one value and would never randomize it.

Badge +1

Did you ever figure out a solution to this? I think your issue is similar to one I have just logged and am struggling with (see link below), and I am not clear from the replies what the solution was.

Leave a Reply