How can I show a costumed answer for each participant? | XM Community
Skip to main content

Hello,
About a year ago I conducted a research in which I asked an open question: what song helped you lately.
Now, I would like to conduct a research in which I'll show my past participants with their answers from back then and ask them something in the spirit of "previously you said that X was a song that helped you..."
My question is, how can I turn X into the specific answer participant Y gave me previously? I have an excel file with a list of email address, song names and the participant numbers. I would want to create a survey in which I contact participant Y with the song name X they gave me in the past. How can I do it?
Best,
Daniel

Hi Daniel,
You can do this by creating a custom contact list in Qualtrics for all of your participants, which would include their participant ID, maybe a passcode, and then the name of their song. For example, it might look something like this before you import it into an actual Qualtrics Contact list:
Screen Shot 2021-06-03 at 5.30.02 PM.pngOf note, you need to ensure that your participant ID is related the "ExternalDataReference" variable.
Once you have imported your contact list, you can set up an authenticator element at the top of your survey flow-- participants login to the survey using their participant ID (and password too, if you want):
Screen Shot 2021-06-03 at 5.32.16 PM.pngThen, directly under the authenticator, set up an embedded data field by selecting "Add a New Element Here" and then "Embedded Data":
Screen Shot 2021-06-03 at 5.32.24 PM.pngFrom there, go to the "Add from Contacts" option at the bottom right of the embedded data element and select your contact list from that menu.
Screen Shot 2021-06-03 at 5.32.49 PM.pngThen select "Song" and hit "Ok":
Screen Shot 2021-06-03 at 5.32.55 PM.pngThen, information should pop into the embedded data field in the survey flow like so:
Screen Shot 2021-06-03 at 5.33.00 PM.pngApply the changes to your survey flow when you are done. Now, the information on the participant's song will be brought into their survey.
Lastly, just use

${e://Field/Song}
in the survey to pull in that participant's song.

Thanks a lot!

Leave a Reply