How do I track changes on a pre/post survey study? Details below | XM Community

How do I track changes on a pre/post survey study? Details below

• 20 September 2021
  • 3 replies

I am creating a survey to enter in data that was done on paper (Basically I will be submitting responses for all of the participants). On the paper survey, we have two identifying questions that will allow us to track changes from one survey to the next. Because I am entering in the responses I won't be able to use email or IP Addresses to identify each respondent. How would I set up a survey to enter the identifying questions and use them to track changes? I am using a pre/post survey format in my study.

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Hi JDM1052 I think the easiest way to do this would be to just create one survey with all your pre and post questions and enter both of the responses from each individual in a single survey response. This way, they will be paired together and you won't have to link across surveys. Would that work for you?

Unfortunately, the post-survey isn't done yet. It will be coming up in a few months. I have to analyze data from the pre-survey and it is easier to use the Qualtrics SPSS output than to build my own SPSS from scratch. So for ease of the future surveys I figured I would set the web version up to be longitudinal from the start. Otherwise, your idea is a great one.

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Ah, I see. Then, is there anything keeping you from just adding a field to your survey where you enter the identifying information? I'm assuming you have a name, ID, or something like that. I would just set up a field for this purpose and then join the data files in SPSS using that field.
You could also theoretically still use a single survey, though it's a little more work-intensive. You'd program the survey to contain both the pre- and post-survey questions, including identifying information. Enter the pre-survey data for all participants. Then, when you have post-survey data, you can use the re-take survey link: https://www.qualtrics.com/support/survey-platform/data-and-analysis-module/retake-survey-link/
The link retains the originally entered information, so you can just click through those pages and then enter the post-survey data once you get to those questions.

Leave a Reply