How to get multiple-response questions to export correctly | XM Community
Solved

How to get multiple-response questions to export correctly

• 18 March 2021
  • 1 reply

Edit: Solved. I simply did not click on "More Options" on the export data pop-up window. Anyway still crazy to me that the default would be exporting MRVs as a string. Carry on.
OP: Howdy. I have always used the old version of the export tool to get my survey data into Excel / SPSS. Qualtrics recently deprecated that feature and we can now only use the new export. As you might know, multiple response questions previously exported as one column (or variable in SPSS) for each answer option, with a 1 meaning that option had been selected. Now, you get one column, and the data looks like "2,3,6" indicating the respondent selected options 2, 3, and 6. This data is formatted as a "string" in SPSS and is essentially unusuable without spending time adding variables, populating values, etc. Time-consuming, and irritating.
So my quesiton is: How do I get the data to export in what, in my experience, is the industry standard for multiple response variables aka 1 column per answer option? Or is there a way I should be dealing with the new string "2,3,6" type version that has thus far elduded me?

icon

Best answer by AmaraW 24 May 2021, 20:25

View original

1 reply

Badge +48

Hi alexkb - glad you found a solution! For those curious, this support page has a bit more information!

Leave a Reply