How to pipe selected answers from Matrix Table (type: Likert / format: Profile)? | XM Community
Question

How to pipe selected answers from Matrix Table (type: Likert / format: Profile)?

• 24 July 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

This may seem like a pretty basic operation, but I somehow can’t figure out how to accomplish this…

How do you pipe the selected answers / choices from a Matrix Table question (Matrix type: Likert; Format: Profile)? I tried different formats as listed below, but none seem to produce the result that I was expecting. If important - this is for an email workflow, but I assume that piping should work the same across the entire survey platform. I read the piped text overview at https://www.qualtrics.com/support/survey-platform/survey-module/editing-questions/piped-text/piped-text-overview/ and took note of this Qtip, but the exact method does not seem to be included in the instructions / is not fully explained:

• ${q://QID321/ChoiceGroup/SelectedChoices} ← this was my starting point as selected from the ‘pipe text from’ menu for the question
  • ${q://QID321/ChoiceGroup/SelectedAnswers} ← as based on the Qtip above, I thought replacing ‘Choices’ with ‘Answers’ should do the trick - it doesn’t

Then I just started to try other formats that I could think of, but none worked.

• ${q://QID321/ChoiceGroup/SelectedAnswers/1}
  • ${q://QID321/ChoiceGroup/Answers}
  • ${q://QID321/Answers}
  • ${q://QID321/ChoiceDescription/1}

Thanks for your help with this!

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +18

Hi @surveymatze,

To get my understanding correct, I believe you are trying to fetch the text of the columns selected in the matrix question, if that is the case below are the 2 scenarios I’m able to replicate, do let me know if I’m missing something here?

#1 : Question setup

#2: Matrix View:-

#3: Output:-

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Thanks for your quick response, @SaurabhPujare_Ugam!

So here is what I have set up:

1. Question setup (as this question belongs to a group of questions that have a specific style of formatting, the question text is hidden via HTML/JS):

Question preview:

2. Email workflow (note: I have auto-numbered the questions in the survey editor - hence the question is displayed as Q2.10 in my first screenshot; I have verified, however, that the internal QID for this question is indeed QID321):

3. Entered response in survey:

4. Output in received email via triggered workflow:

I don’t understand why this is not working. 

Badge

After /SelectedAnswers add /the question number so you have:

Laterality of treatment: ${q://QID321/ChoiceGroup/SelectedAnswers/1}

Leave a Reply