How to randomly choose a question and its related informations from a pool of question and call? | XM Community
Skip to main content

Hi,
I am new here and want to make a very complex survey. I have a pool of 1000 questions. Each question has several potential answers and related documents. in my survey, I want to choose one question randomly from this pool and show it to participants at the beginning of my survey. Then in the next step, I want to show the participant the related documents of that query which was chosen randomly and ask them to read it. Finally I want to show the participant the potential answers of that question. Now my question is how I can set up such loops in my qualtrics survey.

Assume, I have an excel file with 1000 rows, in each row, one column is the question, the column next to it is the link to the related document and the next columns are the potential answers

1. At the bottom of the Loop & Merge select Randomize and Limit to 1 Loop

2. Copy and paste your excel spreadsheet into the first cell of the Loop & Merge fields

3. Use the piped fields (e.g., ${lm://Field/1}) in your loop questions.

Thanks Tom for your explanation. Now I know how to use loop and Merge but still does not do the job I want. as I mentioned I have an excel file with 1000 rows and each row has several columns (e.g. Row 1 - Column A, Column B, Column C, ...
Row 2 - Column A, Column B, Column C, ...
When I randomly select for example the data in cell 1A for the first question, in the second question i want to call the data in cell 1B. i don't know how to link them!

Thanks i found it. your comment was very helpful.

Hi, I have the same survey design but I have 10,000 rows with several columns. The copy & paste way did not work well. what is the better way to do it?

Leave a Reply