How to skip questions utilizing multiple conditions? | XM Community
Skip to main content

Hello, I'm building a Qualtrics survey of over 100 questions that each question has multiple conditions based on the respondent answers to multiple prior questions that if present the question will be skipped. The skip logic on Builder mode is limited to one condition only. The display logic or branch logic can have multiple sets of conditions but my survey PDF was designed to use complex skip logic, and to use the display or branch logic I would have to reverse the complex conditions to make it work which takes quite more time and prone to errors.
Here is the example of the skip logic for just one of the questions:
==============================================
Note: if you have NOT answered/chosen at least one of the following items: [(3, 8)] in question 31, skip the following question
Note: if you have NOT answered/chosen item [1, 2, 3, 5] in question 32 AND answered/chosen at least one of the following items: [(2, 8)] in
question 31, skip the following question
Note: if you have NOT answered/chosen item [1, 2, 3, 4] in question 35 AND answered/chosen at least one of the following items: [(2, 8)] in
question 31, skip the following question
Note: if you have NOT answered/chosen at least one of the following items: [(3, 8)] in question 37, skip the following question
Note: if you have NOT answered/chosen item [1, 2, 3, 5] in question 38 AND answered/chosen at least one of the following items: [(2, 8)] in
question 37, skip the following question
Note: if you have NOT answered/chosen item [1, 2, 3, 4] in question 40 AND answered/chosen at least one of the following items: [(2, 8)] in
question 37, skip the following question
=============================================

Is there a way to use these complex conditions as a skip logic?

Thank you

I'm sorry to say that you're correct: At present, skip logic does not allow for multiple elements to be evaluated. We use it only in instances where the skip runs to an end of block, where survey flow can take over. (as in the case with failed screener criteria)
It IS frustrating to have to swap to Display or Branch logic. We get those requests too, but generally when someone has initially designed their survey in another platform (like "Forms") that ONLY has skip branching. Unfortunately, at this time skip logic will not do what you need it to, so changing approaches is the best path forward.
On the plus side, based on your example display logic is not as complex as it would have to otherwise be... If Q32 only APPEARS based on Q31, then Q33 logic only needs to be based on the answer to Q32, but should not need to revisit the criteria of Q31 again, etc). I would definitely read through also to see if whole sections could be grouped (blocked) together to use Survey flow/branch logic, so you don't have to build display logic on sections of the survey that could be bypassed completely through blocks and branching.

Leave a Reply