'Ignore' colum after import | XM Community
Skip to main content

Hello community,

I’m trying to add new embedded data to a survey that already has 8,000+ responses. Both the field and the values are new to the survey, so I had to duplicate the current survey. Below are the steps I’ve taken

1. I duplicated the survey I want to add the data to
  2. In the new survey, I created the new embedded data in ‘survey flow’
  3. I exported the original survey in csv format
  4. I added the new embedded data column to the spreadsheet and saved it as csv.
  5. Imported the edited spreadsheet as csv into the new survey

However, the import is not mapping the questions.

I’ve tried with tsv with the same result. 

A curious fact is that the mapping works properly when I import the spreadsheet with no edits, which makes me think something is wrong when saving the spreadsheet.

Any ideas? 

Thanks!

Cristian

@CristianPinzetta
When you edit the responses CSV/TSV with Excel are there any warning about formatting change. I used to stumble upon the same problem as you did with my old laptop. My new one doesn’t give me the warning and I don’t have any issue with it.

@CristianPinzetta
When you edit the responses CSV/TSV with Excel are there any warning about formatting change. I used to stumble upon the same problem as you did with my old laptop. My new one doesn’t give me the warning and I don’t have any issue with it.

Hi, thanks for taking the time to reply.

I tried formatting the date yyyy-mm-dd hh🇲🇲ss, and then matching this format in the first screen after the import, with no luck. 

Thanks once again.

One possible reason for this issue could be that the CSV file is not formatted correctly. Make sure that the new embedded data column is added to the correct location in the CSV file and that it is formatted correctly. You can also try opening the CSV file in a text editor to check if there are any formatting issues.

Another possible reason could be that there is a problem with the import settings. Make sure that you have selected the correct delimiter and that the data is being imported into the correct fields.

Thanks everyone for the replies, much appreciated. 

I managed to sort this out by doing the below:

• The three first rows of the spreadsheet must be complete. This was the main issue with my spreadsheet.
  • If you are adding new embedded data, you must create the field in survey flow.
  • In the spreadsheet, all dates must be either formatted in yyyy-mm-dd hh🇲🇲ss or be adjusted in the import.

Hope this heps somebody else!

Cheers

Cristian

Leave a Reply