Inconsistent in-page display logic | XM Community
Skip to main content

Having trouble with in-page display logic. I have a matrix question that has 20 items and two columns. I want to ask one follow up text entry question for each statement they mark in the right hand column. I originally set this up with loop and merge, which was great for speedy setup, but I hated that it would only show one follow up question per page. It was recommended that I use diplay logic instead if I wanted all the follow-ups (one per right-column-selected statement) to appear on the same page. This is tedious since I have 5 of these matrix questions in different branches, which means setting up the per-question display logic 100 times (vs setting up loop and merge 5 times). Finally got through one of them, and did it as in-page. The trouble is, it's not working consistently. Some statements will trigger the display and some won't. I've gone back and checked, and the inpage display logic is set the same on the ones that work and the ones that don't. Has anyone encountered this, or have any ideas?
(Alternately, if anyone knows how to make the loop and merge display all the follow-up questions on the same page rather than one question per page, that would be even better.)

Hi jinx, I haven't come across any mechanisms for displaying all Loop & Merge questions on a single page and unless any developers in the community can chime in with a solution, I believe that Display Logic is the way to go here.
In terms of why your Display Logic is not working properly, it's worth taking a look at ExpertReview as it will flag questions with invalid Display Logic and highlight things that won't be surfaced in the survey editor. Also make sure you aren't basing your Display Logic on questions/embedded data/piped text/etc that have not been displayed to the respondent or set appropriately prior to the questions leveraging Display Logic.
Hope that helps.
Cheers,
Cameron

Hi CamM, thanks for replying. ExpertReview says the display logic is all good. The logic is not based on embedded data/piped text or unsurfaced questions. It's based on the matrix question immediately above and the answer selection in the appropriate column. What's weird is that 8 of the 20 don't show up, and 12 do, but I triple-checked the display logic on all of them (to see if I maybe clicked on the wrong choice or something), but they are all set up exactly the same way.

Leave a Reply