Invitation "Language" Used | XM Community
Skip to main content

Hello

We have surveys that are available to users in both English and French.  We do not know the recipient’s preferred language so the “Language” field in the Contact List is left blank.

Using this method, we learned and have confirmed that the surveys automatically display in the language that the recipient’s browser is set to.

However, for the email invitations, they seem to not behave the same way even though there are multiple translations indicated beside the “Load Message” button when composing the email.  Surveys I receive from other survey platforms seem to be able to detect language.

Is there a setting or a trick in Qualtrics to have the emails automatically display is the recipient’s email browser setting if the recipient’s preferred language is not known/ not housed in the Contact List?  

Thanks,

Following as this would also be good to know.

Hi @RodgerK ,
I’m certainly not a 100% expert here, but I would be surprised if anything like that is possible.

Emails are a typical one-way communication channel (= someone sends information from a server to your computer). Modern email clients usually block all information flow from the receipients computer back to the server. Otherwise the door would be wide open for all kinds of spam attempts.

Web / HTTP connections are different. That’s a two-way communication. So Qualtrics can figure out the respondents preferred language.

Since you have ‘only’ French and English, would it be possible to create a bi-lingual invitation mail?

Hello

We have surveys that are available to users in both English and French.  We do not know the recipient’s preferred language so the “Language” field in the Contact List is left blank.

Using this method, we learned and have confirmed that the surveys automatically display in the language that the recipient’s browser is set to.

However, for the email invitations, they seem to not behave the same way even though there are multiple translations indicated beside the “Load Message” button when composing the email.  Surveys I receive from other survey platforms seem to be able to detect language.

Is there a setting or a trick in Qualtrics to have the emails automatically display is the recipient’s email browser setting if the recipient’s preferred language is not known/ not housed in the Contact List?  

Thanks,

@RodgerK That is not possible you need to pass language code as per the recipient's language or need to send it in a standard language like English

@ManfredBM 

Thanks very much for the thorough answer.  Not was I was hoping for but your answer makes total sense as to “why not?” so is much appreciated.  The bi-lingual invite was the next possible route so looks like I’ll be going down that path.  

Again...MUCH appreciated!

Leave a Reply