Is it possible to access the scoring value of the answer a person selects on a question in a quiz? | XM Community
Skip to main content

Hi there! I have a quiz where after each question, I’d like to explain what the answer is, and why. The only thing I want to change is a sentence at the top of this explanation: - “That’s right!” if it’s right, or “Not quite.” if the answer is incorrect.
Are there any ways of accessing the scoring value of a person’s answer (not the total score value) in piped text or branching? I know I can branch based on what a person selects, but then I have to do something like “If question 1 = 6, say that’s right”. But the next question would have a different right answer, so I’d have to go and re-select the right answer in branching for that. On the other hand, if I can access the scoring value of the answer, I just have to check if it’s 0 or 1, and since my scoring is consistent across all questions, I don’t have to redo the work of figuring out what my correct answers are question by question in both branching and scoring.
I’m also fluent in JavaScript, so if I can get at scoring through the API, I can make that work too. I’m looking here but not seeing a lot about how to get to scoring for a selected answer. https://s.qualtrics.com/WRAPI/QuestionAPI/classes/Qualtrics%20JavaScript%20Question%20API.html
Appreciate any help or ideas on how I can achieve this with as little repeat work on my end as possible!

I think you could insert embedded data that would conditionally display different text based on the response to the question. Then, you could pipe that embedded text into a question element (i.e., text) and write logic to display the question element if the previous question was answered?

https://community.qualtrics.com/XMcommunity/discussion/comment/40254#Comment_40254This makes sense, and will probably be my fallback plan. I was just hoping to avoid having to put the logic for what a “right” answer is in two places (scoring and logic). I’m trying to put together quizzes using a template, and it’d help me set them up more quickly if I could get to the score value of an answer. I appreciate the help!

Leave a Reply