Link the anonymous responses of the same survey given at 3 different points in time | XM Community
Question

Link the anonymous responses of the same survey given at 3 different points in time

• 29 November 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge

Hello,

I am looking at students confidence in a subject by giving the same survey three different times throughout the year. I want responses to be anonymous (as per ethics approval) but need a way to connect the responses to compare an individuals response at survey 1, 2 then 3.

I have created the survey and will have the students name/email addresses who consent to be involved. So I was thinking of having them create a unique number (some memorable combination of house number/month of birth/end of student ID) which can be used to ID their response. 

I’ve looked into query strings but cant make any sense of it and the community page but I have never used Qualtrics before and very confused!

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +52

Hello @1005718o 

Here my ideas:

1. upload your students to the directory and generate personal links for each of them. In that way you can quantify how many times a person takes the survey.
  2. I think that your idea of generating a code for each one is the best one, what they would have to do is to fill a field with the code each time they take the survey, in that way, when you create a dashboard you can group by code and see the evolution of the score in that period of time.
  3. If you dont want them to fill out, what you could do is to custom each link and deliver to each person the link. You can custom the link adding at the end of the survey link something like ?code=1234. You would have as many number of URL´s as students.
  4. This is the easiest way, add a question with a dropdown where all the codes appear and in that way you can track the responses of that code

Hope it works!

Userlevel 5
Badge +31

Have you looked at this knowledge article about longitudinal studies?

https://www.qualtrics.com/support/survey-platform/common-use-cases-rc/pulling-data-into-a-second-survey-longitudinal-surveys/

Leave a Reply