Looking to have a text entry drill down question that can loop and store multiple responses | XM Community
Solved

Looking to have a text entry drill down question that can loop and store multiple responses

• 7 December 2021
  • 1 reply

Hello, I want to start by saying I am new here and appreciate any help you can give.
This is an example of what I am hoping to achieve basically a drill down question that allows text entry.
Say I want to know the make model color year etc of a car. However I don't have a good list of information to provide for the make model color year etc so I need the text entry. I also want that information for multiple cars.
Additionally and also equally important I am asking someone who has multiple cars I want that same group of questions answered for say a car sale lot. I want them to answer the question 5-10 times. and store the values to each question individually

More specifically to my real life needs I want the question to loop in a if then where they will answer the questions

Is there another car? Yes>Make>Model>etc> Is there another car?Yes>Make>Model>etc>Is there another car?>No>Thank You

Results from their question
Toyota corolla 2000 etc
Ford focus 2000 etc
Is this possible without custom code. If it can only be done with custom code what level is it i am a beginner with html

Thanks

icon

Best answer by CamM 13 December 2021, 08:27

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +20

Hi wes0007, the Loop & Merge function is your friend here as it will allow you to repeat the same questions within a block multiple times and store the responses separately. The only requirement for which it won't work is the desire to ask "Is there another car?" and loop again (or not) based on that response. That being said, you can easily overcome this with a slightly different design approach.
Let's say that you want to ask these questions (i.e. Make, Model, Year etc), but before doing so, you ask the respondent how many cars they have? This allows you to determine the number of times you will need to loop through the question block.
Essentially, your survey would look something like this -:
image.pngYou would then configure your Loop & Merge on the second block similar to this -:
image.pngNote: The purpose of Field 1 and Field 2 in the above Loop & Merge settings is so you can better tailor the questions to the specific loop. For example, the first loop would ask "What Make is the 1st car?" etc, the second loop would ask "What Make is the 2nd car?" etc.
image.pngOnce the required number of loops has been executed, the survey will automatically exit the Loop & Merge sequence and continue with the rest of the survey.
In your Data & Analysis, you would see the results similar to this -:
image.pngHope that helps!
Cheers,
Cameron

Leave a Reply