Multiple submissions, but also allowing "finish later"? | XM Community
Skip to main content

I am trying to create a student evaluation survey. Each faculty member will evaluate several students using an identical survey. I am currently passing several bits of embedded data via the URL - including the student name, which pre-fills the “student name” question. So each faculty member gets a list of URLs that they will use (one per student that they will review). The URL/survey is the same, however - just the query string differs for each one. I would like the faculty member to be able to work on one of those surveys and finish it later. It seems impossible given what I described, however, since the survey ID is the same (even though the query string varies).

Do I need a different personal invitation for each faculty/student pairing (ie: each faculty member receives several URLs - one for each student?). If so, I’m not sure how to approach doing that.

I also toyed with the idea of using Loop & Merge - asking them to select which students they are reviewing at the start of one big survey. That seems quite cumbersome for the respondent though - it may get confusing as they switch between students, with some reviews completed and others unfinished.

Any thoughts about the best way to approach this?

Thanks,

Rob

I think I found the solution.. distribute Personal Links to each faculty member. The contact list has several entries for each faculty member (same email/name). The student name is added to each entry as embedded data. Seems to work and allows going back and continuing each separate survey.

Unfortunately, however, the URLs that I get in a CSV from the Personal Links (Generate Links) page don’t include the embedded-data from the contact list. So I get a list of URLs for each faculty member but there’s no way to tell which one is for which student. 😞 so close!

Rob

Got it! I can use the Email feature and send to the contact list. I was able to get the student name to appear in the body of the email using “insert piped text” with the embedded-data (of the student’s name). The subject line doesn’t seem to have the ability to insert piped text, but I copied and pasted the code from the body into the subject and it works! Looks like I’ve found something that will work.

Rob

Leave a Reply