Multiple values in Contact list attribute, Survey and use it in CX dashboard | XM Community
Question

Multiple values in Contact list attribute, Survey and use it in CX dashboard

• 29 April 2024
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I have a requirement to populate multiple values for a contact list attribute, let us name it Portfolio Area(PA). If I maintain the values as say PA1,PA2 against a contact. Below is my requirement:

1. I need to populate the contract attribute value in one of the existing survey.
  2. When we create a CX dashboard and build a filter on this field, I would like to see PA1, PA2 as options. When I select PA1, I would like to see all records that had value as only PA1 or PA1 and PA2. How can I achieve it ?

Thanks in advance.

9 replies

Badge +1

If I am getting this right, you would like to have an option to create multi-select filter inside your dashboard. In order to achieve this, save information in your contact list as “PA1,PA2” under the “PA” embedded data.

Now in the survey, you can call this PA attribute from your contact list and set it as “Multi-Value Text set” from embedded data options.

Follow a similar process of defining the field inside your dashboard as “Multi-Answer Text set” and then using that field as your filter.

I hope this resolves your concern :) 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Thanks @nitish08 for the quick response. My embedded field in Survey is getting value from a API.

So I tried to do the following:

1. In the beginning of the flow, I defined the embedded data of same name and set it as MULTI VALUE TEXT, hoping that when it gets value from API, it would store like multi value text. But it showed the result as below:
  2. Since it did not work, I removed the definition in the beginning of survey and added the step of SET EMBEDDED DATA after the API call. And added the same embedded field name as MULTI VALUE TEXT. Once I published, all values in DATA & ANALYSIS is showing as below:
  3. Is this the correct way to do ? Can we just have a set embedded field to change the type of field ?
  4. I need to change this field to MULTI VALUE TEXT in many surveys, few having API call and few being as normal Embedded data.
  5. Kindly guide.
Userlevel 4
Badge +8

Hi @Neha Tank ,

Here's how you can try: First, include an embedded data element in your survey flow. This element will capture the contract attribute value based on the respondent's selection.

Next, incorporate a multiple-choice or text entry question where respondents can choose or input their contract attribute value (such as PA1 or PA2).

Then, in the survey flow, configure the embedded data to capture the value selected or entered by the respondent in this question. This data will allow you to apply filters in the Dashboard for analysis.

Thank you!

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Thanks @Nanditha MM .

My requirement is slightly different. I have a contact list having multiple value attribute that is get obtained using API - Contact search in a survey as shown below:

I don’t get an option to set this field Portfolio_Unit field as MULTI VALUE in webservice element. But when I tried to add another element just after web service element as below using the same embedded field name with no assignment, the values are appearing as MULTI VALUE in DATA & ANALYSIS:

But I wasn’t sure if it is the correct way to do.

Badge +1

Hi @Neha Tank , yes this could be one of the approaches. Or, you could also try the “field editor” inside “data and analysis” tab to create a field manually, reference the source to “Portfolio_Unit” on the left hand side and change its type to multi-answer text set.

However, if you only intend to work on filtering the values inside the dashboard, you can simply change the field type of “Portfolio_Unit” to “Multi-Answer Text set” over there and don’t bother about any additional settings inside the survey.

Hope this helps :)

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I can’t have a new field because I have used the existing field in many dashboards. Is it right to have SET EMBEDDED DATA element after the web service call just to change the type ?

Thanks for your patience to reply.

Badge +1

I can’t have a new field because I have used the existing field in many dashboards. Is it right to have SET EMBEDDED DATA element after the web service call just to change the type ?

Thanks for your patience to reply.

In that case, I would suggest to change the field type directly inside the dashboards. Or you can follow the path you stated above :)

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Hi @nitish08 , If I set it in dashboard directly, it shows PA1,PA2 as one of the entry in drop down as shown below:

I want to only show PU Cloud and PU Digital as 2 options.

Badge +1

Hi @Neha Tank ,

Not sure why it is splitting the values into three choices. I faced a similar issue while recreating this survey setup. Few things I tried out to resolve this issue:

1. Setting up “Portfolio_Unit” as multi-value text inside embedded data options. Similar to one you were stating above.  
  2. Making sure there is a space after the comma. E.g. P1, P2 (not P1,P2)
  3. Removing the field from dashboard all together and mapping it back again as multi-text value answer

After following the above steps, I was able to narrow down the filter to two options as shown below:

I hope this helps :)

Leave a Reply