Piped Text from Two Sources | XM Community
Skip to main content

Hello- I'm trying to set up a survey where one question is asked 20 times with a different name piped in each time, but the names come from two sources: List A has 10 names that should always be asked and List B has 50 names from which 10 should be chosen randomly for each survey taker. Additionally, the order that the final 20 names appear should be randomized.
How can this be set up? Thanks!

Does each participant answer 20 questions in total? Meaning each participants will get 10 questions from list A and a random sub sample of 10 versions from list b?

https://community.qualtrics.com/XMcommunity/discussion/comment/45768#Comment_45768Exactly right- each gets 20 total.

https://community.qualtrics.com/XMcommunity/discussion/comment/45774#Comment_45774The solution I propose is not perfectly randomized as it does not randomly display the questions from A, amongst the subset of 10 for B (e.g., intertwining the two sets). But instead would randomly display first all of A or a true random subset of B. I hope this helps. It requires two piped texts and a randomizer in survey flow.

Create a block for items that will come from Set A. Turn on loop and merge for this block. Delete field 2. In the loop and merge field 1, place the names you want. Turn on randomize loop order at the bottom of the window (see image below).
loop and merge A.PNGThen add a question into Block to the format you want (e.g., Likert) and select piped text in the format editor, loop and merge, Field 1. Type the remainder of your question text around the piped filed (see image below).
block A.PNG
Create a block for items coming from set B. Turn on loop and merge for this block. Delete field 2. In field 1, put the names you want to draw from. In my example I have chosen to use 20 slots. Then at the bottom turn randomizer and indicate you only want it to select 10 random of the X in field 1 (in this example, 20).
loop and merge B.PNGThen populate the question in the block for Set B, like you did A.
Block B.PNGThen finally in your survey flow, place both blocks in a randomizer element. Then make sure you indicate you want 2 out of 2 elements to be shown in the randomizer.
randomizer.PNG

As I stated above this is not true randomization, as A or B will come first, followed by the other. But A will always be kept separate from B.

I hope this helps!

Thanks wpm24 for the detailed reply! I could follow your instructions perfectly.
Unfortunately I do need to mix the two lists and then randomize them together, so still looking for a way to do that.

gman08 ,
It can be done like this:

1. Create a MC question with the 50 B names. Add advanced randomization to display 10 evenly presented. Use JS to either hide it or click next depending on if it is on the same page with another question.

2. Create a second MC question on the next page. Carry forward the displayed names from the previous question and add the 10 A names to it. Randomized the choices. Use JS to click Next.

3. The next block is a loop & merge based on the displayed choices in (2) above. It should contain the question you want to ask 20 times.

Thank you TomG! That is working perfectly for my needs.

Leave a Reply