Piped text in loop and merge not recording for one question (only) | XM Community
Skip to main content

Hi! I’ve set up a loop and merge to randomly display x number of loops from an L&M table where is row is for a different video clip and the fields are all the info getting piped into questions (character names, images, etc). My attention check question in each loop shows the correct answer and two distractors in randomized order for that video, like so:

...where gym class is in field 13 (distractor), party is field14 (distractor) , and hang out is field12 (correct answer). In the data it just records the piped text code rather than the selected answer.  

I looked around here to try and find an answer given to someone else looking for the same thing, but I didn’t really find the same situation -- I found non-L&M instructions to set embedded data for each piped text (which seems redundant, since I already have entered the text into the L&M table for each field, which took forever), and some more complicated things like the piped text being drawn from previous text entry questions so no one’s answers are the same. Is there a straightforward way to save the pre-set multiple choice answers into the data, vs. having to change them out manually for hundreds of videos after exporting the data? ANy guidance greatly appreciated. Thanks!

(Sorry for the slightly weird title -- I’m using a lot of piped text in the L&M block and originally thought only one question’s answers wasn’t recording in text to data, but then I realized all the other piped text is used in the question text, not the answer choices, but it was too late to edit the title of this post.)

Try piping it again, or try using console.log to view the text that is being piped in that choice. That might help you.

I don’t think there’s a straightforward way to get piped-in choices’ labels in L&M. I see 2 possible solutions :

1. You add a script to get the actual displayed labels and store them in EDs.
  2. Instead of putting your choices in the L&M table, you add all of them to the “What was happening question” and use display logic on “is current loop”.

1. Instead of putting your choices in the L&M table, you add all of them to the “What was happening question” and use display logic on “is current loop”.

I don’t really understand how this would work. Aside from having to enter about 300 answer choices and using the tiny click target dropdown to add display logic to each one, how would a specific answer be associated with a given loop? Every row in the L&M table has different answer choices. In any case, I guess I can just do a find and replace on the final exported data file to indicate correct or incorrect instead of trying to get it to provide the actual answer text in the data table while it’s on qualtrics.

Hi, it would indeed be a pain to program if you have 300 choices but here is the principle :

Ah, I see. Thanks so much!

Leave a Reply