Randomisation of Blocks with one fixed Block in the Middle | XM Community
Skip to main content

Dear all, 
My question is about randomisation of blocks. 
I have a total of 17 blocks of which 9 blocks should be displayed to each participant. A certain block is supposed to come in fifth place each time as an attention task. 
Is there a way to approach this issue in a practical way?

If I run only one randomisation, then the attention task does not always appear. 
I have tried to run two full randomisations with 4 blocks + attention task + 4 blocks each, but then I have the problem that the blocks can appear twice. 
And if I divide all the blocks into 2 groups of 8 blocks, with a randomisation of 4 blocks each, then some of them always appear at the beginning or the end of the survey, which seems unfavourable. 
Thank you very much for your suggestions. 

Use two randomizers with the attention block in between.
In the first randomizer, add groups for all eight blocks and under each group place a block and set an embedded data field to flag that the block was displayed (e.g., block1 =1). Display 4 of 8 groups.
In the second randomizer, add branches for all eight blocks to display if the block as not been seen (e.g., block1 not equal to 1). Display all 8 branches. Only the blocks that weren't seen the first time will display.

Thank you TomG! 
You helped me a lot with your answer. 
I just tested it and it worked wonderfully ☺️

Leave a Reply