Randomised display of specific subsets of items within a question set | XM Community
Solved

Randomised display of specific subsets of items within a question set

Badge +1

Dear community,
This may be a very simple question, but I haven't been able to find an answer to it.
I have a question with 15 items within a block containing other questions. I see the items that make up this question as comprising up 5 subsets (1-3, 4-6, 7-9, 10-12, 13-15), and would like to randomly present participants with 1 item per set so they receive 5 items in total (e.g 1,5,8,10,13 - 2,4,9,11,15, etc). Ideally, I would like to do this in a way that is completely random. I know I could set up specific sets in different blocks and use the randomizer, but that wouldn't allow for complete randomisation. Could anyone advise whether this is possible, or what the best workaround would be?
Many thanks in advance
Kind regards
Steve

icon

Best answer by bstrahin 22 June 2022, 15:51

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +38

I would use Survey Flow to achieve this. It is a bit of "brute force" option but manageable.
1) In your survey flow, before your block add a set of 5 Embedded Data that choose a random integer from 1-3; 4-6; 7-9; 10-12; 13-15
image.png2) Then use Display Logic on each of the options in your question to show if the corresponding random number was picked. Here is the example for Option 1.
image.pngAll the way through to Option 15, which would be
Embedded Data - Group5 - Is Equal to - 15

Badge +1

That's worked perfectly. Thank you very much!

Leave a Reply