Randomize location of correct answer in random subset | XM Community
Skip to main content

Hello!

I have an advanced choice randomization question.  Let’s say I’m building flashcards for memory training, which involves pairing a picture and a word.  Participants see the picture, and must choose the correct word out of a set of 5 options.  So in this setup, there is one correct answer, and four foils.

Let’s say there is a total of 100 picture-word pairs.  The foils are drawn from this set of 100 words, so for each picture there is the one correct answer, and four incorrect answers drawn randomly from the remaining 99 words.

Using Advanced Randomization I can randomly select the four foils (using Random Subset) and can force the correct answer to show (either by directly including it, or using Randomize Choices), but this leaves the correct answer in a static position (e.g., always the third option).  I would like the correct answer to appear in a random position, so that across repeated trials the participant can’t succeed just by learning the position of the word in the answer options.

Is there a way to do this?  Unfortunately, I do not appear to have the option to use JavaScript (but don’t know if that would have helped).

JavaScript would have helped, but there is an alternative.

Don’t force response on your question with advanced randomization. Add a timing question to the same page, and have it auto advance after 0.01 seconds.

On the next page, add your actual MC question and carry forward the displayed choices from the advanced randomization question. Randomize the choices in this question.

You can go back to your advanced randomization question and add CSS in a style tag to hide all or part of it (e.g., the choices).

Leave a Reply