Repeat a block a different number of times | XM Community
Skip to main content

Hi Community,

I am hoping someone can help me with my survey.

I have one survey with several blocks, and only one I would like to repeat several times, and when this block has been answered completed it will continue to the following block.

For this specified block, I want it to be repeated more than one, the number of times it will be depended on each participant.

That is, I may have participants where this block will be repeated twice and others may be once or five times.

How should I indicate the survey in this field? In my case, I should ask my clients, how our different engineers did the job. For example, if I have one participant to my survey with 2 engineers (electrician and painter), this block must be repeated one for the electrical engineer and another one for the painter, and I must also include the name of the guild.

I was thinking to include a date embedded with the number. However I don’t know how I should indicate the information releated to the guild.

How do I program this block in my survey?

I would appreciate your help!

@Angeles I think the feature named Loop & merge can help you. And you should do multiple loop base on a question that will let respondent choose who did they worked with. 
Here’s loop & merge base on a question doc: https://www.qualtrics.com/support/survey-platform/survey-module/block-options/loop-and-merge/#LoopingBasedOnAQuestion
Let me know if it work

Thanks for your feedback @Nam Nguyen 

The number of times the block must be repeated it will be indicated by an embedded data. I don’t have a question where the participant should select the number of times.

It will be strange to ask our participant about ir, because it is something that I know. 

I would like to indicate the number of times as a field, with the name of the different engineers. However, I am not sure how to do it. How to program the block to repeat it as many times as the numerical field indicates. And at each moment he asks for a different engineer.

I am hoping you can help me with this issue.

I really appreciate your help!

If you just have the information about the number of engineer the person worked with then we can simply create a JS hidden text entry question with embedded data piped in and loop the block based on this hidden text entry question.

Thanks a million @Shashi 

Please, could you tell me how to do it? I haven’t done before.

Follow the below steps:

1. Create a text entry question outside the block which is to be looped. Add default choice to the question as the pipe in of the embedded data which is storing the number of engineer the person worked with. Add below script to hide the question and auto advance.
  2. Use the text entry question in the loop and merge configuration of the block which contains questions about engineers.
jQuery("#"+this.questionId).hide();
this.clickNextButton();

@Angeles It basically still Loop& Merge base on a question. But this time you automatically answer that question yourself instead of respondent.

Leave a Reply