Scoring 16 words (in a text field) | XM Community
Skip to main content

Hi
For a memory task, I first present the participants with 16 words and then ask them to write down as many words as they can remember. I want to automate the scoring process so that if a respondent types a word correctly (without a typo), the first instance of the word is scored (repeated words don't count). Consequently, the perfect score would be 16; for somebody who has remembered and typed in all 16 words correctly.
Following some suggestions from the Qualtrics community, I've tried the scoring approach (Survey options > Advanced > Scoring). But this approach adds at most one point for the respondent. Furthermore, I've tried the branching approach (Survey flow > add a new element here > Branch) but don't think it is relevant to my case.
What should I do?

You could do it with 16 survey flow branch conditions using either contains' or 'matches regex' and an embedded data field:
Embedded Data: score = 0
Branch: If Q1 contains word1
Embedded Data score = $e{ e://Field/score + 1 }
Branch: If Q1 contains word2
Embedded Data score = $e{ e://Field/score + 1 }
...etc...

Thank you TomG!
Unfortunately, I'm not sure where to write your suggested script/code.
I've also tried to follow your suggestion using the existing interface in Survey flow, but don't think I've done it correctly.
In the screenshot below I've added four IF statements for four words, but I don't think it would do anything to the Embedded Data.
Screenshot 2022-04-19 16.21.50.pngWhat do you think I should do?

First you need an embedded data block that contains only

score = 0
. After that there should 16 independent branches (one IF per branch) with an embedded data block under each that contains
score = $e{ e://Field/score + 1 }.

Leave a Reply