Sending out links that are personal but allow the link to be accessed multiple times | XM Community
Question

Sending out links that are personal but allow the link to be accessed multiple times

Badge +2

Hello, 

I am completing a survey and wish to clarify an item before going live. 

I wish to give respondents the ability to have one person go in, complete their section, leave the survey, forward the link to another person and for them to complete their section and so on until the survey if completed and then submitted. 

What type of link in combination with settings such as “allow respondents to finish later” and “record incomplete submissions” need to be on to allow this to occur. 

The above is pivotal to the surveys success as we are distributing to 1 person who then is getting multiple people to fill in sections in different areas then submitting. 

Any help would be appreciated,

Regards

Ollie 

12 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +27

Email distribution can be the method that you can follow here.

Badge +2

You will probably have to build different surveys and trigger them one after the another - using a workflow or automation. 

From the current functionality, I dont think we can achieve what you need exactly. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +14

I’d suggest:

Allow respondents to finish later

User personal links

Incomplete survey responses - set to 1 year

You could use the Table of Contents feature to make navigation to the different sections easier.

Please note, only one person should be in the survey at a time - otherwise answers could be lost.

I think that it should work, but you’re relying on respondents following the instructions correctly.

Badge +2

Thank you all for your quick responses, Mike, this is the rout I have followed and built in a table on content for this, thank you for clarifying that 1 person should be in the  survey at one time.

My concern came from the help page that states, “Used Individual Links: The participant may be trying to access the survey through a used or expired Individual Link. Individual Links are created automatically for every person in your contact list when you send the survey out through the Qualtrics mailer or create Personal Links. This kind of survey link can be used only once and then becomes invalid.” - does that mean that it can only be submitted once or can only be accessed once?

regards

Ollie 

Userlevel 6
Badge +27

Thank you all for your quick responses, Mike, this is the rout I have followed and built in a table on content for this, thank you for clarifying that 1 person should be in the  survey at one time.

My concern came from the help page that states, “Used Individual Links: The participant may be trying to access the survey through a used or expired Individual Link. Individual Links are created automatically for every person in your contact list when you send the survey out through the Qualtrics mailer or create Personal Links. This kind of survey link can be used only once and then becomes invalid.” - does that mean that it can only be submitted once or can only be accessed once?

regards

Ollie 

After answering the block that should be answered by person 1, you can provide a message to forward the link to person 2 and then hit next button, so the person 2 sees new page. So it will be one link generated from one email address but used by multiple people.

Since the above approach can be error prone. We can use below method as well.

Create separate surveys for each person/ touch point and then to merge all the response at one place, we can have separate survey wherein we can add the response using this and this api.

Userlevel 4
Badge +14

regards

Ollie 

Hi Ollie

I assume when they say it “becomes invalid” - that they mean after the survey has been completed/ submitted once. You can test it quite easily - by sending yourself a survey - completing some of it, then forwarding the survey to say your personal email and then test completing it on your phone. I’ve used these settings to do something similar ish and it’s worked. Just make sure that you adjust the Incomplete Survey Setting to be say a year, as you don’t want the link expiring because of no activity in a week. I think the default is a week from recollection.

Thanks

Mike

Userlevel 7
Badge +61

Good afternoon from a sunny Sweden!

What if the survey link you send out land on a “main page” where all the different sections are outlined with links to each section? That way each individual can just go to their part and fill out the details. 

One issue is to ensure no-one accidently submits the survey which would mean it’s closed for everyone. But if everyone only keeps to “their own” area and the “main owner” of the survey (the first person receiving it) is the one who is supposed to actually submit it once done, you’d be fine. :)

All the best

-Mattias

Userlevel 4
Badge +14

Perhaps you could have “passwords” for different sections - and a final password for submission. The password(s) could be sent to the main respondents, or revealed during the survey as progress is made. Sounds fun 😀

Badge +2

Thank you all for the responses. 

I am finding that my answers are being stored for all question types, except for “matrix tables” as these clear themselves when the other questions dont, anyone experienced this?

Ollie 

Userlevel 4
Badge +14

Thank you all for the responses. 

I am finding that my answers are being stored for all question types, except for “matrix tables” as these clear themselves when the other questions dont, anyone experienced this?

Ollie 

Had you pressed next on the Matrix table page before exiting the survey? Qualtrics will only store once you’ve pressed next to go the next page.

Badge +2

Yes, i had tried that. 

I think it is because I have entered this code 

jQuery("#"+this.questionId+" input[type=text]").val("");

into the java script box to eliminate the entire table showing “0” when loaded. I think this is removing the inputs and displaying blanks when the page is loaded.

If my thought is correct, do you know how to non destructively have a blank table that retains information when filled in?

regards

Ollie 

Userlevel 4
Badge +14

Yes, i had tried that. 

I think it is because I have entered this code 

jQuery("#"+this.questionId+" input[type=text]").val("");

into the java script box to eliminate the entire table showing “0” when loaded. I think this is removing the inputs and displaying blanks when the page is loaded.

If my thought is correct, do you know how to non destructively have a blank table that retains information when filled in?

regards

Ollie 

ah, is that because it’s a Matrix Constant Sum? Does it need to be a constant sum - could you make it a Matrix Text Entry question?

Leave a Reply