Summing Matrix Table text entry of numbers to place in reporting | XM Community
Skip to main content

Hello - I have a Matrix table of text entries where the end user will enter numbers into each box.  I would like to sum each ROW of the table and embed that into a report.  I am new to much of this feature and not sure of the best way to approach. It looks like using Constant Sum does not report out anywhere other than on screen.  Many thanks! 

Hi @RMS 
You can use math operations for your use case.
Below is the demo for the same.

Create a matrix question with text entry type.
Create a similar embedded data after the question block. Use piped text and the Syntax is as follow: $e { 1a + 1b + 1c + 1d }. Repeat  this for other rows as well.

You can use this embedded data for reporting in your dashboard.

Thank you for your feedback!  I tried getting just two of the piped text fields to sum for me with no luck.  The report lists the embedded field but gives me no total (I do have numerical test data entered) which makes me think the formula is wrong somehow?  

The math operation syntax is incorrect. Please check the syntax here. It should be:

$e{ q://QID7/ChoiceTextEntryValue/1/1 + q://QID7/ChoiceTextEntryValue/1/2 }

Hi @RMS 
You did everything right but just remove the extra space after  ‘$e’. 

Please change it to the below image.

Thank you so much for the assistance.  I found out the bigger issue is that while the math operations were correct per your feedback, I still could not get anything to show in reporting.  Through talking with support, I learned Qualtrics will not retroactively do the math operations, only for new data going forward.  The work around would be to export all existing data and then import it back in.  Then the embedded math operations will be reported.  I hope this helps anyone with the same issue!

You could also use Formula Variable Creation to create Row Total fields. This will add the totals for recorded responses and responses going forward.

Leave a Reply