UBlock Origin causes 500 Internal Server Error and infinite loading screen | XM Community
Question

UBlock Origin causes 500 Internal Server Error and infinite loading screen

• 4 June 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +10
  • Level 3 ●●●
  • 35 replies

Hello,

My surveys recently stopped working for users that have uBlock Origin enabled. They throw error message 500 and fail to load some portions of the survey (see attached screenshot for an example).

Disabling uBlock Origin fixes the error, but I cannot ask my participants to do this, and the error just started happening so this seems like a bug of some sort. There are a couple reddit threads (here, here) that seem to point to some change happening this week.

Is there something that Qualtrics can do to fix this or is this a bug on Origin’s side?

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +33

Please check this thread and escalate to Qualtrics support team, if needed. You can tag XM COMMUNITY admins too.

Userlevel 3
Badge +10

Please check this thread and escalate to Qualtrics support team, if needed. You can tag XM COMMUNITY admins too.

Thanks for the link. I’m not sure if this is the same issue, though: mine seems very specific to ad-blocking software. I’ve now confirmed that Safari’s ad-blocker also prevents my survey from loading. It does not throw an error, though: instead, the circular spinning loading animation just persists indefinitely (or at least, for 15 minutes or more). Just as with uBlock on Chrome, disabling content blocking on Safari fixes the issue and the survey runs without error. Further, this seems to be a very recent issue for me: it is happening on many of my surveys as of today, and last week (and for months prior) they were all working perfectly.

It seems like some change on Qualtrics’ end has caused a crucial page element to be interpreted as advertisement, or something?

Userlevel 7
Badge +61

Thanks for the link. I’m not sure if this is the same issue, though: mine seems very specific to ad-blocking software. I’ve now confirmed that Safari’s ad-blocker also prevents my survey from loading. It does not throw an error, though: instead, the circular spinning loading animation just persists indefinitely (or at least, for 15 minutes or more). Just as with uBlock on Chrome, disabling content blocking on Safari fixes the issue and the survey runs without error. Further, this seems to be a very recent issue for me: it is happening on many of my surveys as of today, and last week (and for months prior) they were all working perfectly.

It seems like some change on Qualtrics’ end has caused a crucial page element to be interpreted as advertisement, or something?

Yeah I’d absolutely escalate to the Qualtrics Support team. If they’ve made some small tweaks that somehow gets caught in the browser security webs then they need to know about it asap. 

Just my two cents :) 

All the best

-Mattias

Leave a Reply